Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Depository :(

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed February 18th, 2009, 12:38 pm

That's good news about the pre-order option. I hadn't noticed that.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed February 18th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Yes, that is good news. That was a serious weakness in their offering.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed March 4th, 2009, 10:21 am

The new Book Depository website has a very cool feature - Book Depository Live. You can see where people are buying books from. It's very hypnotic - or maybe just because I am already tired!

Book Depository Live
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed March 4th, 2009, 11:02 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]The new Book Depository website has a very cool feature - Book Depository Live. You can see where people are buying books from. It's very hypnotic - or maybe just because I am already tired!

Book Depository Live[/quote]

Wow, it's really cool and hypnotic - as you say. Interesting to see the diverse books being ordered.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 4th, 2009, 6:23 pm

I like the new look BD. One thing I enjoy is their interesting interviews and articles. It did take me a while to pick up on the price fluctuation thing. I've discovered that it's often cheaper to buy a book when it first comes out, for some reason. Later on you'll frequently discover that the price has gone up.
BD is still a good deal ecause of the nil postage fee policy, but I'm not getting quite as carried away as I was back a year or so. As Diamondlil points out, the drop in the value of the AUD and NZ$ means prices have increased significantly for us, so I'm being a bit more discriminating these days.

*Edit Darn, now I've discovered the world-wide book sales watch as well. I can feel an urge coming over me to buy something just so that I can watch it come up. Oh no, they may have created a monster!
On the plus side I also just came across the Faber Quiz which I'm now doing- I'm a terrible sucker for competitions.
Last edited by annis on Thu March 5th, 2009, 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”