Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Depository :(

For discussion about particular book sellers (brick-and-mortar bookstores, online book sellers, auction sites, swap sites, etc.)
Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Book Depository :(

Post by Amanda » Mon February 16th, 2009, 12:44 am

I have loved The Book Depository for ages...and bought a lot from them.

Now they have upgraded their website, and their prices have gone up! Still free shipping worldwide, but most of the books I had saved on my wishlist have gone up, and most are just a little bit under RRP.

Probably still cheaper than buying books here in Australia though!

But if only I had known it was coming, I would have put in a big order!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 16th, 2009, 12:56 am

All hail, Book Depository! This marvellous bookstore has vastly increased my access to new historical fiction. because of the no postage deal, I can order books as sson as they come out and they are cheaper than the on-shelf price here when they finally do make it to New Zealand.

I have to thank Misfit for putting me on to them in the first place.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon February 16th, 2009, 1:00 am

[quote=""annis""]I have to thank Misfit for putting me on to them in the first place.[/quote]

Don't give me credit, I heard it from diamondlil :) :)

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Mon February 16th, 2009, 8:25 am

With the exchange rate the way it is, it is still a little bit cheaper to buy from The Book Depository but not as much as it used to be!

I can't remember where I heard about them from, but I have used them a lot over the last couple of years!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon February 16th, 2009, 11:03 am

I haven't checked out the site for specific books in response to your comment, but I have noticed that prices are going up everywhere. Amazon prices have been going up too (I have hundreds of books as saved items in my basket there, so every time I open the basket it tells me any prices that have changed since I last looked and they're mostly all going up).

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 16th, 2009, 11:06 am

Seems a bit silly to put prices up in the present economic climate!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Tue February 17th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Amanda, you're right, I've seen it too, but the prices of some books go up and down all the time, so you might get lucky if you keep ckecking them regularly.

Bookdepository has given me the chance to buy a lot of english books cheaper than in the shops, especially here in Belgium english books are more expensive than for instance in England and on top of that there are not many bookshops that have english books in the first place.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue February 17th, 2009, 8:40 pm

[quote=""Carine""]Bookdepository has given me the chance to buy a lot of english books cheaper than in the shops, especially here in Belgium english books are more expensive than for instance in England and on top of that there are not many bookshops that have english books in the first place.[/quote]

In case you aren't aware, if you're in Europe, you can also buy UK books from Play.com at UK prices with free delivery. It's worth checking that site out for prices as well as Bookdepository.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Wed February 18th, 2009, 6:57 am

Thanks for tellling me Sweetpotatoboy :)
I have ordered a few things on Play.com but their prices are still a bit higher than Bookdepository, probably because they put their prices in Euro and it's always higher than the exchange rate is at the moment. Even by creditcard you can not buy in pounds while living in Belgium.
I see that Bookdepository has done this too now, but the exchange rate seems to be better.

Big transformation on Bookdepository ! Now you can pre-order as well.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed February 18th, 2009, 10:14 am

Being able to pre-order is a good improvement!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Book Sellers/Traders”