Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pagan Themed Historical Fiction

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:33 am

Um, I dunno it was a thread over on the other forum and I found some of the titles.

Pagan means country dweller. So throw that into your definition :p

I think it all depends on what people want to read. I like to read the pre christian stuff or the Pagan Vs Christian stuff like Mists. But some people like the ancient gods/goddesses
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:43 am

Country-dweller? Okay, I'm pagan!
Seriously, you would enjoy Evangeline Walton's books. Margaret and I were just discussing them over on the Arthurian fiction thread (tho they aren't about Arthur.) They can be found used, and I recommend starting with the first one she published, Island of the Mighty. If you do them in the order now given, you end up starting with Prince of Annwn, the slapped-together afterthought book written in a hurry to complete the set.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:45 am

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 29th, 2008, 3:55 am

Now that I'm on this writer, her last book, the Sword is Forged, dealt with Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons. I recall you prefer female protagonists, which this one definitely is.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 4:13 am

OH! That soundst interesting.

Do I have to read them in order? Can they be stand alone books?

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Fri August 29th, 2008, 4:24 am

By Pagan, do you mean all of the ancient god/goddess systems? The Roman pantheon, the Greek gods, the Druidic system in its many forms, the Nordic Gods? Does it refer to books based on the great mythic cycles, such as the Ramayana, the Kalevala, the Tain, the Mabinogion, Gilgamesh, the Homeric Epics? Does it include the Sumerian and Egyptiona gods and goddesses? How about pre-Columbian America and native Shamanistic reliegions? Is Hinduism Pagan? (by the technical philosophical definition of non-monotheistic, it would be, but I'm not sure it is for this category.) Does that extend to Asian cults, or is there a geographic component, like Northern Europe? A time component, like before AD 800? Modern-day voodoo and animism, or just older stuff?

In short, yes.

A pretty broad category, isn't it? I don't think "pagan" fiction has to be anti-Christian, although a lot of it is. It's interesting that the word "pagan" was originally just a word that meant country-dwellers, in other words, the unsophisticated people out in the sticks who were still following the old ways.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 29th, 2008, 6:40 am

"Divia" wrote:OH! That soundst interesting.

Do I have to read them in order? Can they be stand alone books?

The Hippolyta book is a stand-alone. I suspect that she was going to do more than one, but she was getting on in years and never got further than the one. But it was good enough that I still remember it, and I've forgotten lots of more recent books.

Of the Welsh foursome, the only two that are better in order and The Children of Llyr which covers events before the Song of Rhiannon. Island of the Mighty is completely stand-alone, centers around the struggle between Gwydion and his sister Arianrhod, both far to clever for their own good and neither one any too ethical, to influence their Uncle King Math of Gwynedd.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 1:32 pm

I'm going to check out the Sword is Forged and see if i can get it on amazon. Sounds like something I would like.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Sun August 31st, 2008, 11:27 pm

I actually rather liked Prince of Annwn, though it might appear quite strange and disjointed to someone unfamiliar with Celtic myths and legends. I loved the way the boundaries between the world of the living and the afterworld were so indistinct. Very Celtic.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Tue September 2nd, 2008, 4:43 pm

Great thread! For myself, I'm very interested in books that contrast Pagan beliefs with Christian views. Also books about the time when Christianity began to spread into Europe and the conflicts it caused with the belief systems of the time.

And yes, "Paganism" is so different from the mono-thiestic religions that it's hard to wrap my brain around it. I remember back in college when I took a world religions course, the section on Judaism, Islam, and Christianity was easy as I was used to that way thinking but then when we focused on the eastern religions and the multi-theistic religions like Shinotism, Hnduism, etc. they were just so different it was hard to even recognize them as religion at all.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”