Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pagan Themed Historical Fiction

Want to read novels featuring a particular person or subject? Ask for recommendations here!
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Pagan Themed Historical Fiction

Postby Divia » Thu August 28th, 2008, 3:29 am

• Druids by Morgan Llewellyn
  • Confessions of a Pagan Nun by Kate Horsley
  • Daughter of Ireland by Juilene Osborne-McKnight
  • The Burning Time by Robin Morgan
  • Sisters of the Raven by Barbara Hambly
  • Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
  • The Moon Under Her Feet by Clysta Kinstler
  • Julian the Apostate by Gore Vidal
  • White Raven by Diana L. Paxon
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Thu August 28th, 2008, 3:48 am

Some more Diana L Paxson titles;
"White Mare, Red Stallion", set amongst warring Celtic tribes in Scotland during the period of the Roman occupation of Britain

'Wodan's Children" series
1. The Wolf and the Raven
2. The Dragons of the Rhine
3. The Lord of Horses
Set in C5th Rhineland, based on the Germanic Ring Cycle legend.

Again set in Germania, during the time of the Roman invasions
Donna Gillespie's
"Light Bearer" and "Lady of the Light"

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Thu August 28th, 2008, 3:49 am

Thanks so much :)

I was thinking of old thread on HF.org and remembered this one. New suggestions always welcome!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu August 28th, 2008, 4:00 am

More:

Cerridwen Fallingstar, The Heart of the Fire
Ellen Evert Hopman, Priestess of the Forest: A Druid Journey
Jess Wells, The Mandrake Broom

Cuchulainn
Reader

Postby Cuchulainn » Thu August 28th, 2008, 4:13 am

Manda Scott's "Boudica" trilogy that turned into a four-book series. They are all pagans in that.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favorite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Postby Margaret » Thu August 28th, 2008, 5:05 am

Great list! There are some new ones here that I will be adding at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info. I've recently reviewed Horsley's Confessions of a Pagan Nun at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Confessions-of-a-Pagan-Nun.html.

Some other novels set in pagan Ireland include:

Randy Lee Eickhoff's Ulster series, based on ancient Irish legends:
#1: The Raid
#2: The Feast
#3: The Sorrows
#4: The Destruction of the Inn
#5: He Stands Alone

Also, several of Morgan Llywelyn's novels:

Red Branch
Finn MacCool
The Isles of the Blest
Last edited by Margaret on Thu August 28th, 2008, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hit "Save" prematurely
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings and over 650 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Thu August 28th, 2008, 5:26 am

Another Morgan Llywelyn with an ancient Celtic theme
"The Horse Goddess"

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Thu August 28th, 2008, 9:47 am

Jules Watson's Dalriada trilogy - The White Mare, The Dawn Stag and The Boar Stone. The third book has been released in the US under the title The Song of the North.

Melisende
Reader

Postby Melisende » Fri August 29th, 2008, 1:33 am

Kenneth Flint -

~~ Ulster Cycle
~~ Finn McCool

Website - http://www.mindspring.com/~pjones/kcf/rots.html
"For my part, I adhere to the maxim of antiquity: The throne is a glorious sepulchre."

Women of History

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 29th, 2008, 2:04 am

I have to confess that the term 'Pagan' leaves me at a loss. As a student of comparative religions, it's kind of like saying 'monotheism-themed books' because it is so wide. So a little specification for my bewildered brain:
Do you mean specifically anti-monotheism works? Or just anti-Christian? Or perhaps, everything pre-Christian?

By Pagan, do you mean all of the ancient god/goddess systems? The Roman pantheon, the Greek gods, the Druidic system in its many forms, the Nordic Gods? Does it refer to books based on the great mythic cycles, such as the Ramayana, the Kalevala, the Tain, the Mabinogion, Gilgamesh, the Homeric Epics? Does it include the Sumerian and Egyptiona gods and goddesses? How about pre-Columbian America and native Shamanistic reliegions? Is Hinduism Pagan? (by the technical philosophical definition of non-monotheistic, it would be, but I'm not sure it is for this category.) Does that extend to Asian cults, or is there a geographic component, like Northern Europe? A time component, like before AD 800? Modern-day voodoo and animism, or just older stuff?

Most historical pagan rites involve human sacrifice. Should the recommended pagan-themed fiction be accurate to the historical facts? Or does pagan in this case mean essentially fantasy revisionism, the world as we wish it could be, with mythical/magical elements thrown in?
Or is it primarily a goddess religion that is requested -- no male dieties, unless they are lesser or equal?

I can tell you that proponents of all these different belief systems would be pretty horrified to find themselves grouped together, as they make opposing and exclusive claims to truth. Define the terms. I'm at a loss.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

Return to “Any Good Books About . . .”