Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

HF Poll

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 11th, 2009, 12:31 am

[quote=""Julianne Douglas""]The irony is that many lesser known figures in history could become "marquee names" if they were given half a chance![/quote]

Well, er, ahem....... an excellent example of that is our own EC and William Marshall. How many of us who now adore him and put him at #1 on our Hunks in History list had ever heard of him before?

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed February 11th, 2009, 12:39 am

True! And there are still many historical figures who are "known" to people but have not been nearly as well covered in fiction. I sometimes wonder if it's the "known to editors" factor that counts!
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed February 11th, 2009, 3:06 am

Thank you so much, Julianne, for doing this poll. The results are really interesting. I voted for a promising plot/story, but there's more to it than that. My budget is limited, so if a novel intrigues me but I'm not familiar with the author, I will almost always check it out from the library rather than buying it. I do, however, browse in bookstores and buy books by authors I haven't read before - because I can dip into the book and see if I like the author's writing style. Oddly enough, I don't do this on the web - though I'm sure it's a good idea for authors to post first chapters. Perhaps I'm just more susceptible when I can hold a book physically in my hand.

I was tempted to check #4, the cover, blurbs, etc., because I must admit to being swayed by cover art. I had a review book sitting on the stack by my desk that I kept putting off, even though the description of the story intrigued me, because the cover art looked amateurish and I couldn't help thinking the writing was likely to be on the amateurish side, as well, if the writer was forced to go with a publisher that didn't have the wherewithal to produce a better cover. Once I read it, I was almost embarrassed to have put it off so long. It was a beautifully written, captivating novel, that certainly deserved a more professionally designed cover! (The book I'm referring to is Relief by L.E. Butler - I've reviewed it at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Relief.html.)

I'm certainly much more likely to be intrigued by a book's setting and storyline than by a book about a familiar historical person, though a historical person I haven't read much about can intrigue me, too. It's a negative for me if a novel is about a historical person I've already read about, though that can be overcome if the novel takes a new and unusual angle on that person.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Chalet by Catherine Cooper
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed February 11th, 2009, 12:21 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Well, er, ahem....... an excellent example of that is our own EC and William Marshall. How many of us who now adore him and put him at #1 on our Hunks in History list had ever heard of him before?[/quote]

Me too! :o I do agree that the Tudors and Elizabethans have been pretty much "done" though.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed February 11th, 2009, 3:53 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]True! And there are still many historical figures who are "known" to people but have not been nearly as well covered in fiction. I sometimes wonder if it's the "known to editors" factor that counts![/quote]

When I went to see Alison Weir last night someone asked her a similar type of question. She indicated that she thought books about more obscure historical figures had a better chance of being published 5-7 years ago and that now with the global economy in the shape that it is, publishers want more well known, "marquee" names.

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Wed February 11th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Well, I'm pursuing the market research on a practical level. In my first novel, all the main characters are fictional, with the exception of a cameo appearance by Catherine de Medici and some references to Clement Marot; in my second novel, 98% of the characters are historical. We'll see which one fares better in the marketplace. By the time I finish #2 later this year, the trend will probably have swung back to fictional characters, but I'll be ready at that point for whatever the market dictates!
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed February 11th, 2009, 6:45 pm

You go, Julianne! That's the way to do it. When I attended the first HNS Conference in Salt Lake City, I had one indie-published book and three finished manuscripts that had been rejected, in combo, like 10,000 times. But I persisted and when I pitched to Rachel at Crown, she said: "Get an agent, and tell her/him I want to see the one on Juana." It set me on my path, which, while circituous for three more years, eventually landed me a book deal.

I think you've great concepts and you have the savvy; let's connect at HNS and talk more, okay? Bring a sample with you that I can read. ;)
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Wed February 11th, 2009, 7:40 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much for your interest and help, Christopher. I swear, with you and Michelle pulling for me, along with my indefatigable agent, I'll land that deal yet. :)
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed February 11th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Oh, yes, you will. Probably just when you've given up all hope and have decided that champion basket weaving should be your new passion :p
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed February 11th, 2009, 10:45 pm

[quote=""Julianne Douglas""]Well, I'm pursuing the market research on a practical level. In my first novel, all the main characters are fictional, with the exception of a cameo appearance by Catherine de Medici and some references to Clement Marot; in my second novel, 98% of the characters are historical. We'll see which one fares better in the marketplace. By the time I finish #2 later this year, the trend will probably have swung back to fictional characters, but I'll be ready at that point for whatever the market dictates![/quote]

Interesting. Yes I would like to know the results of that.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Archives”