Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book events in London (UK)

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Book events in London (UK)

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon February 9th, 2009, 10:10 pm

I've been sent a list of some interesting talks taking place soon in London of historical interest, some relating to historical fiction.

See list below. If anyone local is interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the organiser who can arrange complimentary tickets.

---------------------

Love & History. Feb 10th. 7.00 Start.
QI's Justin Pollard talks about The Interesting Bits in Love & History.
Waterstone's Notting Hill.

Love & History. Feb 11th. 7.00 Start.
Tom Holland, Adrian Tinniswood and Tracy Borman talk about their favourite Love Affairs, Power Couples & Mistresses in History.
Kensington Library, Phillimore Walk.

Love & History. Feb 12. 7.00 Start.
Paul Strathern, Lucy Moore & Alice Albinia talk about their favourite Love Affairs, Power Couples & Mistresses in History.
Daunt's Bookshop, Fulham Rd.

Butcher & Bolt. Feb 19th. 7.00 Start.
Alice Albinia interviews BBC Correspondent David Loyn about his new book, Butcher & Bolt - 200 Years of Foreign Engagement in Afghanistan.
Borders Islington.

Fact & Fiction. March 3rd. 7.00 Start.
TV & Military Historian Saul David talks about writing Historical Fiction. In conversation with Crime Novelist David Dickinson also.
Kensington Library, Phillimore Walk.

War & Peace with Adam Zamoyski. March 17th. 7.00 Start.
Bestselling Historian Adam Zamoyski talks about his latest books.
Daunt's Bookshop, Fulham Rd.

Fact & Fiction. March 18th. 7.00 Start
Saul David, Robyn Young & Justin Kerr-Smiley talk about writing Historical Fiction.
Waterstone's Notting Hill.

Journeys. March 25th. 7.00 Start.
Tim Butcher, Alice Albinia & Nigel Jones talk about their latest books and the art of Travel Writing.
Brompton Rd Library.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue February 10th, 2009, 3:26 am

Sigh... I wish I were in London!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon February 16th, 2009, 12:21 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Love & History. Feb 11th. 7.00 Start.
Tom Holland, Adrian Tinniswood and Tracy Borman talk about their favourite Love Affairs, Power Couples & Mistresses in History.
Kensington Library, Phillimore Walk.[/quote]

I went to this event last week. It wasn't too bad. It was an attempt to shoehorn three different historians' knowledge of different periods into a topical overview of love among people in power. Tom Holland has written about Ancient Greece and Rome and Persia. Tracy Borman has written a biography of Henrietta Howard, mistress of George II. Adrian Tinniswood, who has written a biography of a seventeenth century English family, wasn't there and they'd replaced him with a biographer of Hitler.

The Hitler biographer talked quite interestingly about the Fuhrer's love life, but it's largely conjecture. Turns out many of them committed suicide or attempted to.
Tracy Borman spoke about Henrietta Howard and George II and Queen Caroline, and about life at court at that time. She was actually quite good at not trying to extrapolate from their story and draw conclusions about cultural attitudes to love at the time, which some seemed to want her to. Her main point was that George didn't actually like his mistress much and was in love with his wife, but he felt obliged to maintain appearances and have a mistress as was expected at the time.
Tom Holland spoke well about Ancient Rome, starting with Catullus's love poems. He did generalise quite a lot but from that distance, it's hard not to. his main point was that modern-day concepts of love and romance would have been utterly alien and incomprehensible to the Ancients.

Not a bad event, but it did seem like an attempt to create a theme out of three individuals' expertise, and draw some conclusions on how individuals in positions of power handle love. As such, it didn't really work. And the various people asking questions seemed more interested in showing off their own knowledge.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon February 16th, 2009, 1:17 pm

I've now had confirmation that I'll be doing a joint event with Katie Hickman (The Aviary Gate) in the Kensington and Chelsea library area on Wednesday April 15th 6.30 - 8pm.
Then a repeat performance at Merton Library, Surrey on the 16th, starting at 7.30pm
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon February 16th, 2009, 2:31 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I've now had confirmation that I'll be doing a joint event with Katie Hickman (The Aviary Gate) in the Kensington and Chelsea library area on Wednesday April 15th 6.30 - 8pm.
Then a repeat performance at Merton Library, Surrey on the 16th, starting at 7.30pm[/quote]

Oh, I'll be abroad then. What a shame.

Return to “Chat”