Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Talking Tarot in London

Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here.
Forum rules
Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here. This is the place for actively participating forum members who are also authors to post news about newly released books, book deals, book tours, blog tours, public appearances, awards, etc. Author members who are active in other areas of the forum, other than in self-promotion, are welcome to post here; those who post only here or who post only self-promotional material on the forum will be considered for deletion as spammers. Please reserve this forum for truly newsworthy items; reviews of your books or notifications of new blog posts you make, for example, are not considered newsworthy for purposes of this forum.
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri February 20th, 2009, 8:46 am

[quote=""juleswatson""]I know, EC, I saw it on your website and been meaning to write to you about it. It really is fascinating. I am stuck up here at the farthest edge of Scotland, and Sept is close to my next deadline so doubt I'll be able to escape. But where is the conference anyway?[/quote]

It's in Cirencester, at the agricultural college. Due to holidays we're not going to be able to attend the full session but it should be interesting inasmuch as we can get to. I'll be fascinated to hear some of the other speakers.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Sat February 21st, 2009, 7:19 am

My mum studied Tarot, and has a deck. She is good, she is still learning (at the ripe age of 75!) but really enjoys it!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue February 24th, 2009, 10:30 am

Well I didn't realise this thread had been chugging along without me! ;)

[quote=""juleswatson""]Leo, finally got time to reply. I've played around with tarot a few times, not much but very open to it. The deck on your website is gorgeous. I like the idea that quantum physics and spiritual beliefs as two streams of exploration could be coming closer together; the more we find out about the bizarre universe we live in, the more it opens up the possibility that some of these discoveries could explain spiritual phenomena. I like being open-minded, anyway. I decided to play around with the idea in my two books based on Irish myths - particle physics in relation to the sidhe, or Celtic Otherworld!! I only touch on it; did not have room to go into it, both because of publisher constraints and because I wanted touches of "fantasy", not to write what would be classed as a full-on fantasy novel...yet. The future, who knows?[/quote]
Jules - thanks for your comments :) Yes it's a very odd combination, I'm still not quite sure how - or why - it worked, but people seem to like the deck. :D

Your books sound fascinating - another unexpected combination - do you have a link?

btw, you might be interested to know that there's a Tarot of the Sidhe, by my fellow tarot creator Emily Carding. Check it out here:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/sidhe/

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Tue February 24th, 2009, 1:15 pm

[quote=""Leo62""]Your books sound fascinating - another unexpected combination - do you have a link?[/quote]

Leo, I just posted info on the new book at Author Announcements. My website below has all the info. I'm sure someone told me about a tarot of the sidhe; I'll go and have a look right now
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue February 24th, 2009, 5:40 pm

[quote=""juleswatson""]Leo, I just posted info on the new book at Author Announcements. My website below has all the info. I'm sure someone told me about a tarot of the sidhe; I'll go and have a look right now[/quote]

Jules - duh! sorry... just noticed your thread! :D

jeannelahn

Post by jeannelahn » Mon April 20th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be stuck up in the farthest edges of Scotland! I authored Toward the Horizon, which is an historical fiction novel based on Scottish immigrants to Nova Scotia aboard the Ship Hector. What a bugger it has been to research the Scotland end from way across "the pond," (although the University of Edinburgh has been most gracious.) I am currently working on the sequel and I do almost all of my research online, because I am stuck up in the northeastern part of Wisconsin, USA! ;-0

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon April 20th, 2009, 11:02 pm

What a beautiful deck you created! I wish I could be there for your talk. Good luck!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Tue April 21st, 2009, 10:42 am

[quote=""jeannelahn""]Oh, what I wouldn't give to be stuck up in the farthest edges of Scotland!What a bugger it has been to research the Scotland end from way across "the pond," (although the University of Edinburgh has been most gracious.) I am currently working on the sequel and I do almost all of my research online, because I am stuck up in the northeastern part of Wisconsin, USA! ;-0[/quote]

It is hard when you are writing about far away places. When I was writing my Scottish-set books I was first in Australia, then London and then back in hot, dry Australia again. For me, since I was writing about a rural people very closely connected to the land and its seasons, I needed to experience the landscape first-hand. And my books are also an ode to my great love for Scotland, which came before the novels. I ended up in Argyll mainly because my last book about Deirdre of the Sorrows was set here, actually. My husband and I are very lucky that we can live between different countries as we both work for ourselves and have dual citizenship. Most HF writers don't get to travel to where their books are set, though, and they do an amazing job without it. It's never been easier to access information using the web. And I have heard that physically, Nova Scotia is very like Scotland!
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue April 21st, 2009, 11:52 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]What a beautiful deck you created! I wish I could be there for your talk. Good luck![/quote]

Thanks Michelle :) Well talk about zombie thread revival - the talk was actually two months ago now! However, I have something new in the pipeline tarot talk and workshop-wise coming up in September. Watch this space ;)

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Tue April 21st, 2009, 3:50 pm

[quote=""jeannelahn""]Oh, what I wouldn't give to be stuck up in the farthest edges of Scotland! I authored Toward the Horizon, which is an historical fiction novel based on Scottish immigrants to Nova Scotia aboard the Ship Hector. What a bugger it has been to research the Scotland end from way across "the pond," (although the University of Edinburgh has been most gracious.) I am currently working on the sequel and I do almost all of my research online, because I am stuck up in the northeastern part of Wisconsin, USA! ;-0[/quote]

My mother is shoulder deep into genealogy. I showed her a post elsewhere on these boards regarding your book, and she told me she thinks it is possible some of "her people" were on that ship. I ought to go order it now, and enlist Dad to keep her from buying it herself until I can get it to her!
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

Return to “Author Announcements”