Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Talking Tarot in London

Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here.
Forum rules
Please read "A Note to Authors" in the Board Rules before posting here. This is the place for actively participating forum members who are also authors to post news about newly released books, book deals, book tours, blog tours, public appearances, awards, etc. Author members who are active in other areas of the forum, other than in self-promotion, are welcome to post here; those who post only here or who post only self-promotional material on the forum will be considered for deletion as spammers. Please reserve this forum for truly newsworthy items; reviews of your books or notifications of new blog posts you make, for example, are not considered newsworthy for purposes of this forum.
Leo62
Bibliophile

Talking Tarot in London

Post by Leo62 » Mon February 9th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Wearing my other hat as a tarot writer & deck creator, I'm doing a talk in London this Wednesday called:

Ghosts of Tarot Past, Spirits of Tarot Future.

It's this Wednesday 11th February at Atlantis Bookshop's Moot With No Name.

The talk includes a raffle for a *free* reading with either myself or fellow reader/author Liz Dean. ;)

Here's some blurb:
Tarot authors Liz Dean (Golden Tarot, Art of Tarot) and Kay Stopforth (Quantum Tarot) join forces to present a unique, interactive session exploring the roots of the tarot and its future potential.

Liz will talk about the origins of the tarot, how it is rooted in the very human story of the Visconti family. Kay will discuss how the Quantum Tarot, a deck themed around 20th and 21st century physics, points the way to new developments in tarot. The Quantum Tarot uses dramatic images of space from the Hubble Telescope along with more traditional tarot imagery in a way that is both visually and thematically innovative.

Included in the evening will be a tarot raffle to win a reading each with Liz & Kay.

The venue is The Devereux Arms, Devereux Court (off Essex Street), London EC4. Nearest tube: Temple (District & Circle Lines).

It's £2 at the door, and arrival time is 7.30pm for 8.

More info at Atlantis's events page:
http://www.theatlantisbookshopevents.com/page13.htm

If anyone's in London & free on Weds, it would be great to see you there :D

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon February 9th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Hey Leo, that's quite cool. I wish I could attend, but I don't think I can afford the plane ticket right now. ;) :(

Do you have a website for your work?

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon February 9th, 2009, 6:22 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]Hey Leo, that's quite cool. I wish I could attend, but I don't think I can afford the plane ticket right now. ;) :(

Do you have a website for your work?
[/quote]
LOL :D

Check out http://www.quantumtarot.co.uk

also http://www.butlerart.co.uk/quantumtarot.htm (artist website)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon February 9th, 2009, 8:26 pm

If I lived nearer London or I was in London I'd be there like a shot and I'd bring Alison with me (psychic friend). I think one of your decks has just sorted out her birthday present! She was saying to me that quantum physics is one of the ways to understand a lot of 'alternative' phenomenon. I have a couple of friends who read the tarot and get it right.
All the best for your evening - and I really mean I'd be there if I lived closer!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Mon February 9th, 2009, 10:18 pm

[quote=""EC2""]If I lived nearer London or I was in London I'd be there like a shot and I'd bring Alison with me (psychic friend). I think one of your decks has just sorted out her birthday present! She was saying to me that quantum physics is one of the ways to understand a lot of 'alternative' phenomenon. I have a couple of friends who read the tarot and get it right.
All the best for your evening - and I really mean I'd be there if I lived closer![/quote]

Thanks! I hope your friend Alison enjoys the deck ;)

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Thu February 12th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Leo62, I wish, wish wish I could be in London to hear this and be there! I read your website and it's fascinating. Funny :-) . Tarot was something I was told to avoid like the plague and be scared of as a child - in fact, it is the most 'normal' and sensible thing I have come across in recent years and I'd love to hear someone who knows loads more about it, speak of it!
(Have you read - well, I am sure you have!!! - the wonderful "Thursday Night Tarot" by Jason Lotterhead? It is one of my favourite books, and, when I have digested it more fully, I look forward to reading yours!

Hope it goes brilliantly! (And thanks for a very interesting website, too :-) )

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri February 13th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Hi Christina - thanks so much for your post :)

The talk went very well - it was our first tryout for this particular talk so we were both very nervous, but we had a good, keen and interested audience.

I've never heard of "Thursday Night Tarot" - thanks for the tip! It's definitely going on my Amazon wishlist :D

If I do any more talks, will post the info here now I know there's a potential audience ;)

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Thu February 19th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Leo, finally got time to reply. I've played around with tarot a few times, not much but very open to it. The deck on your website is gorgeous. I like the idea that quantum physics and spiritual beliefs as two streams of exploration could be coming closer together; the more we find out about the bizarre universe we live in, the more it opens up the possibility that some of these discoveries could explain spiritual phenomena. I like being open-minded, anyway. I decided to play around with the idea in my two books based on Irish myths - particle physics in relation to the sidhe, or Celtic Otherworld!! I only touch on it; did not have room to go into it, both because of publisher constraints and because I wanted touches of "fantasy", not to write what would be classed as a full-on fantasy novel...yet. The future, who knows?
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu February 19th, 2009, 10:45 pm

[quote=""juleswatson""]Leo, finally got time to reply. I've played around with tarot a few times, not much but very open to it. The deck on your website is gorgeous. I like the idea that quantum physics and spiritual beliefs as two streams of exploration could be coming closer together; the more we find out about the bizarre universe we live in, the more it opens up the possibility that some of these discoveries could explain spiritual phenomena. I like being open-minded, anyway. I decided to play around with the idea in my two books based on Irish myths - particle physics in relation to the sidhe, or Celtic Otherworld!! I only touch on it; did not have room to go into it, both because of publisher constraints and because I wanted touches of "fantasy", not to write what would be classed as a full-on fantasy novel...yet. The future, who knows?[/quote]

I use the psychic to write my novels - as a form of interviewing and observational technique. Self and psychic friend have been invited to talk at the British Dowser's Association Conference in September re some of the material we've accessed in this way with specifics to archaeology.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Fri February 20th, 2009, 7:08 am

I know, EC, I saw it on your website and been meaning to write to you about it. It really is fascinating. I am stuck up here at the farthest edge of Scotland, and Sept is close to my next deadline so doubt I'll be able to escape. But where is the conference anyway?
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Return to “Author Announcements”