Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Historical Fiction Conference Question

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue February 10th, 2009, 3:46 am

Unfortunately not a free one, but there's a company that offers a shuttle that goes to all the Schaumburg hotels, including the Woodfield. Kind of a trade-off. The hotels right around the airport were either too expensive, too small, or not very well kept up.

BTW, make sure you fly into O'Hare and not Midway if at all possible. Midway's a lot further away.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue February 10th, 2009, 4:26 am

Good to know. Do you have the name of the company who offers shuttles. I only ask because recently in Syracuse someone was robbed by a "rogue cabbie"
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue February 10th, 2009, 4:34 am

Yep, all the details are here (see page 2). If you can find someone to share the shuttle or cab, even better.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue February 10th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Excellent.Thanks

Yeah I was thinking about that. Splitting the fare is a good thing. :)

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue February 10th, 2009, 4:59 pm

Divia - If you do bring samples to the conference, I wouldn't count on using them (so don't stress too much!). It makes agents and editors uncomfortable to be handed something and be told, "Okay, read it. I'll wait!" Unless an editor/agent specifically asks for sample pages to be brought (this is usually called a critique session, not a pitch session), assume you'll be doing a verbal pitch and that at the end of it, the editor/agent will ask for the first three chapters to be sent to their office at your convenience. When you send the chapters, you can remind the agent in your query letter where you met him/her and that the MS was requested.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue February 10th, 2009, 5:20 pm

Oh... and for everyone going to the conference and pitching, here'sa great breakdown of what to expect/bring.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue February 10th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Thanks Michelle. Very helpful information!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri February 27th, 2009, 1:58 am

Now I have another question. I'm too full of questions I fear. :(

I am looking at the sheet for the editors/agents. I am reading the blurbs about each and I dont think I have what some are looking for. One even stated no Civil War stuff(ok Reluctant to read was used.)

So should I even try with the agents who are looking for mystery even though I don't write mystery? Should I try with an agent who is reluctant to read CW books when thats the era I write in?

I have a few down, but I dont want to waste people's time. Ya know what I mean?

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri February 27th, 2009, 2:31 pm

There's one editor on the list who's only looking for mysteries... that's all her company publishes. So if that's not what you're writing, I wouldn't include her in your selection at all. I would also hesitate at asking for a possible meeting with any editor or agent who says she's reluctant to take on more in the period you write about. The reason the editors/agents include such detail in their bios is to help attendees match up what they're writing against what each of them is looking for.

There are plenty of others to select from ... and don't feel you have to include everyone on the sheet as you prioritize your choices :) I don't know how things will go this time, but in the past, people generally got meetings with either their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice (and sometimes more than one, depending on availability).

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri February 27th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Sent it out and its on its way. I'm excited, though nervous. :)

Return to “The Writing Business”