Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Australian fires

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sun February 8th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Condolences and best wishes for an end to it all.

As for the pyromaniacs, slow roasting is what they deserve as fitting punishment. Let whatever deity exists sort out their mental illnesses after they expire. We had and still have too much of that in California.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Sun February 8th, 2009, 8:34 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]At least some of them have been deliberately lit. It's hard to
understand what thrills that can be gained by these firestarters can
be worth 108 lives (at least) and hundreds of homes.

One of my family members works with a woman who lost her son, his fiancee and his friend. He rang to say goodbye because he knew they weren't going to make it out. So incredibly sad.[/quote]

That's awful. Poor woman.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun February 8th, 2009, 10:36 pm

My Mom is from Colorado and a year or two (or was it five?) ago she couldn't sleep for thinking that places she used to know were burning. That fire was started deliberately. I don't even remember who or why. It was a lousy excuse even as lousy excuses go. There is no reason for doing something like that.

I looked at some of the photos. It's unreal. So many homes. So many lives. Even the animals.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Sun February 8th, 2009, 11:03 pm

My heart just cracked at the photos. It's unbelievable and so tragic. I've been trying to get a hold of a friend who lives in Victoria. I hope she's okay; she's a writer, too.

Having lived through the Tahoe Angora Fire, where our second home came within a few miles of going up, the fear of fire is always present in my mind. That fire was started by an illegal camp fire that wasn't properly put out; similiar conditions in the area, too, very dry and hot. Homes and lives were lost; bears were coming out of the woods with their fur on fire and their paws raw.

Australia looks like an inferno; such a beautiful country, it's simply awful.
Last edited by cw gortner on Sun February 8th, 2009, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 9th, 2009, 1:06 am

Posted by Diamondlil
One of my family members works with a woman who lost her son, his fiancee and his friend. He rang to say goodbye because he knew they weren't going to make it out. So incredibly sad.
How unbearable would that be?

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Mon February 9th, 2009, 1:14 am

For what it's worth, I'm praying for the people of Australia at this time.

'This too shall pass.'

xx

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon February 9th, 2009, 1:29 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]At least some of them have been deliberately lit. It's hard to
understand what thrills that can be gained by these firestarters can
be worth 108 lives (at least) and hundreds of homes.

One of my family members works with a woman who lost her son, his fiancee and his friend. He rang to say goodbye because he knew they weren't going to make it out. So incredibly sad.[/quote]

How horrible!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Mon February 9th, 2009, 2:35 am

I believe there is at least 100 people unaccounted for. The reports are terrible. Six bodies were found in 4 cars trying to outrun the fire. There are burnt cars all over the road and many of them are thought to have bodies in them. I read about a man who put his kids in the car to escape, went back to the house to get somehing and when he came back to the car it was on fire and his children burnt to death- the fire moves so quickly. They believe the fire in Bendigo (where I think 2 people died) was lit by a cigarette.
In another forum I go on some one in Victoria near the fires wrote that they saw someone drop a lit cigarette from their car :mad:

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 9th, 2009, 8:45 am

This news is terrible. Very tragic.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Mon February 9th, 2009, 9:15 am

Sending condolences, thoughts and hope to the Aussies back home, and those here on the forum. It's unbelievably heart-breaking. I've had a weekend of avoiding the news, only just realised how bad it has been.
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Return to “Chat”