Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Daphne du Maurier

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue March 10th, 2009, 4:43 pm

Local residents and old families of those areas are always going to complain how they're depicted (i.e., the land and its people), whether the author is one of their own or an outsider. It's inevitable, I think.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Long Call" by Ann Cleeves
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue March 10th, 2009, 7:57 pm

No offence taken chuck!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 22nd, 2009, 1:21 pm

I just started Mary Anne last night and I suspect it's going to be another winner. Based upon D du M's great-great-grandmother Mary Anne Clarke who ended up being the mistress of The Duke of York. Her daughter married one Louis-Mathurin Busson du Maurier who I'm assuming is perhaps one of the sons of Robert from The Glass Blowers? I've taken the book back to the library so I can't look up the names of his children.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun March 22nd, 2009, 10:20 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I just started Mary Anne last night and I suspect it's going to be another winner. Based upon D du M's great-great-grandmother Mary Anne Clarke who ended up being the mistress of The Duke of York. Her daughter married one Louis-Mathurin Busson du Maurier who I'm assuming is perhaps one of the sons of Robert from The Glass Blowers? I've taken the book back to the library so I can't look up the names of his children.[/quote]

I read this book about ten/ twelve years ago and liked it, though my favorote DDuM novel is The House on the Strand.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 22nd, 2009, 11:37 pm

[quote=""Kasthu""]I read this book about ten/ twelve years ago and liked it, though my favorote DDuM novel is The House on the Strand.[/quote]

House on the Strand is next on the list - just waiting for my turn at the library.

It's going to be interesting to watch the interest grow with her books with the new releases coming out soon from Sourcebooks. I think she'll gain a lot of new readers, along with ones like me that haven't read her since our girlhood days.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 23rd, 2009, 12:00 am

I found some images of Mary Anne from the National Portrait Gallery here. One needs to write and ask permission to post them on individual websites so I am only posting the link for those interested.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

New Covers

Post by Misfit » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 9:36 pm

The King's General

Frenchman's Creek

Mary Anne

My Cousin Rachel

chuck
Bibliophile

du Maurier book covers

Post by chuck » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 11:04 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]The King's General

Frenchman's Creek

Mary Anne

My Cousin Rachel

Image[/quote]

Thanks Misfit....The Book Covers honours the Lady Daphne's novels .....BTW....The 1944 film "Frenchman's Creek" starring Joan Fontaine, Arturo de Cordova and Basil Rathbone is a stunning portrayal of du M's terrific novel....Beautiful technicolor, costumes sets etc.... and Debussy's haunting Claire de Lune is the theme music for the film....Not on DVD yet ....only VHS....Good stuff.....

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 3rd, 2009, 11:47 pm

Thanks Chuck I will have to look it up. Although the VCR bit the dust so it might take some doing to see it :)

I still want to see the 1950's movie of My Cousin Rachel with a very young Richard Burton. It's listed on Amazon but no one is offering it for sale.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon May 4th, 2009, 9:32 am

What lovely covers, Misfit! Are those three the only new covers released in your neck of the woods so far? My collection are the Virago Modern Classics.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “By Author”