Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cranford!!

pat
Avid Reader

Cranford!!

Post by pat » Wed February 4th, 2009, 10:05 am

Is coming to ABC on Sundays! Fantastic! I saw it on UKTV, but the better thing is...we should be able to get the dvd then from the ABC shop! YAY!!

:D
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed February 4th, 2009, 10:08 am

I am planning to record the whole series on the IQ, so I can watch it over and over!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Light within Us" by Charlotte Betts
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed February 4th, 2009, 11:34 am

It was wonderful, apparently they are filming some more to be shown this Xmas on BBC1.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Wed February 4th, 2009, 8:12 pm

You'll enjoy it! It's actually more entertaining than the book. I enjoy Elizabeth Gaskell but Cranford is more like a diary and rather short on plot, but the series is an adaptation of tales from Cranford and a couple of other short books and it has been very well written and has resulted in a very watchable and entertaining series.

Cranford Chronicles is based on three Gaskell books - Cranford, Mr Harrison's Confessions and My Lady Ludlow.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Wed February 4th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Got the DVD - it's a wonderful series :D

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed February 4th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Agreed! It was delightful to watch.
Here's the website from PBS's "Masterpiece Theater" when it broadcasted here in the US last season: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford/index.html

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat February 7th, 2009, 5:40 am

I loved this series, and so glad that I bought the dvd. The costuming is exquisite and so is the acting. It's smart Victorian drama, and takes a very different tack than most adaptations and stories. I do hope they'll make more of the stories next year.

MissMarplestein
Reader

Post by MissMarplestein » Sat February 7th, 2009, 1:27 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]I loved this series, and so glad that I bought the dvd. The costuming is exquisite and so is the acting. It's smart Victorian drama, and takes a very different tack than most adaptations and stories. I do hope they'll make more of the stories next year.[/quote]

We just happened to catch one or two episodes, but what we saw really drew us in. Of course, Judi Dench is always fantabulous...We may just have to get the DVD and watch the entire show in one sitting..

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Sat February 7th, 2009, 4:25 pm

What I was surprised by was the how quickly I went from one emotion to another. I was laughing out loud at some of the escapades, and within a few minutes I was in tears. It was very surprising, some of the turn of events. I won't say why for anyone who hasn't watched it yet, but it was a brilliant series. Wonderful acting all round, and exquisitely done. I'm so glad to hear they're making some more. I have the book on my TBR pile, I must get around to it.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”