Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

And I thought I was picky about apostrophes . . .

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

And I thought I was picky about apostrophes . . .

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed February 4th, 2009, 2:45 am

Here are some people who are worse!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed February 4th, 2009, 3:16 am

Playskool must really send them over the edge!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 4th, 2009, 4:32 am

I have to agree that stress makes it worse. I'm a complusive correcter and when I start annoying friends it always goes back to how stressed out I am.

But I've never defaced a sign. And Playskool doesn't bother me.

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Wed February 4th, 2009, 8:54 am

Did you hear that over here in the UK one of the local councils has given up on apostrophes altogether? They just decided to ditch them from road and other council signs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... 858853.stm

I can't find a smilie that is a sigh...
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed February 4th, 2009, 12:54 pm

I'm confessedly a bit of a spelling snob myself (though not a Truss fan, by the way).

But I have a certain respect for this approach with placenames. There has never been any consistency in the use of the apostrophe in placenames and if the inhabitants of a town spell it without an apostrophe, who is in a position to correct them? Once it becomes a name, it doesn't really have any meaning outside of that.

Earls Court (in west London) is no longer the court of an earl; it's just a name and it appears to have lost its apostrophe. Ditto Shepherds Bush, which sometimes has the apostrophe and sometimes doesn't. I don't see the same approach shouldn't be applied to street names -- within reason, though I wouldn't be in favour of councils spending money to "correct" something that is already technically correct for the sake of consistency.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed February 4th, 2009, 2:25 pm

I am a self-proclaimed grammar nazi, though I have gotten myself well under control. I used to correct people all the time. LOL It was bad. Now the only thing I do now is when I am questioned about what I'm "fixing" for a meal, I respond with, "I'm not fixing anything; nothing's broken." I know "fixin'" is a Southern thing, but I have weeded it out of my vocabulary.

I do not go to the extremes of avoiding a place like Krispy Kreme because I know it's not a spelling error, but a marketing ploy. They want the name of their company to stand out and be memorable so they use an alternate spelling because they know it's something that will stand out. Also, they might've wanted to use Crispy Creme, but it could've been in use in some podunk town in Kansas for all we know. Whatever the reason, the woman first mentioned in the story is far more extreme than I have ever been. I'm sure she'd avoid Mardi Gras in New Orleans because we call our organisations krewes instead of crews. :rolleyes:

The apostrophe thing, though, that Jules pointed out (and which I read over the weekend and was irate over lol) does bother me. A lot. It doesn't matter if Earls Court is no longer a court owned by an earl. That's the name of the place, irrespective of ownership now. It's the name the place was given at its founding and shouldn't be changed just because some people are too lazy to learn the basics of grammar. I really think that's what it boils down to: people who can't be bothered to learn the basics of grammar. I'm not saying everyone should be able to diagram a sentence, because I know I can't and I have a Bachelor of Arts in English.

In an age where the written word is the first means of communication with a potential customer, any way that you can make a good impression is key to your success. In my opinion, having effective communication (i.e. good basic grammar) should be your #1 priority. Poor grammar demonstrates to me that you either can't be bothered to learn the basics or that you are unwilling to consult someone who does know the basics.

*steps off soapbox and waits for the rotten fruit to be hurled her way*

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed February 4th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Years ago, when it was founded, Publishers Weekly had an apostrophe in its title. No more. :) And I bet that woman won't be taking her her Krispy Kremes to eat at one of KOA's Kamping Kabins either.

The spelling of the latter always annoyed me, because the gimmicky spelling made it seem too cutesy. Kutesy. ugh. stop me now.

Let me check to see if the Language Log has anything to say about the disappearing apostrophe phenomenon.... and yep, of course they do. Worth reading. Gradual elimination of the apostrophe is most common with place names, as Sweetpotatoboy remarked. We have an education library where I work called the Ballenger Teachers Center. The apostrophe issue was debated in heated discussions (ok, not really) but eventually it was decided not to include it. The Center is designed for teachers; it doesn't belong to teachers, so it's not properly a possessive.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed February 4th, 2009, 4:28 pm

The Krispy Kreme lady doesn't know what she's missing. Anyway, as the alternative in most parts of the country is Dunkin' Donuts (at least it has the apostrophe for the missing "g"), she might as well surrender and buy herself a box of the glazed. Yummy.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed February 4th, 2009, 5:16 pm

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I don't eat KK because I prefer our local chain's donuts. Bigger and cheaper. :p

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed February 4th, 2009, 5:29 pm

I'm not big on donuts period, so it doesn't bother me what names they go by, LOL!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Chat”