Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So what do you all think about the Octuplet Births?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Shear22

Post by Shear22 » Thu February 12th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Cal State Fullerton's daycare costs a little over $200/week per child, so over $6,000/month for all eight. Are her student loans going to cover that???

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu February 12th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Just remember all the money that will pour in from book deals and Hollywood. Maybe the rest of us won't have to foot the bill.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu February 12th, 2009, 9:22 pm

How can you even use your student loans to pay for that stuff. Mine were pretty rigid if I remember correctly. I couldnt go and buy a car or anything.

And I"m not sure who would give her abook or movie deal. The country wants her strung up, would they really waste money on that? Eh, who knows. Maybe.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu February 12th, 2009, 10:00 pm

I hate to say it but I think she'll end up making money off this debacle somehow!! I just hope that all the anti-choice right-wingers who are mad at this woman stop and realize their hypocrisy. She said in her interview that she had all her remaining embryos implanted and despite the odds they all took and she carried the babies to full term. Some people are against embryonic stem cell research and yet the same people are slamming this woman for actually having the babies even if that means she has to suck off the system to actually care for them once they are born. What should she have done? Throw away the fertilized eggs you all are so protective of?? Had a selective abortion procedure?? Or actually allow them to come to full term as she did?? Or would it have been better to use the embryos in research that will actually save and improve many lives one day?

I'm all for women having full reproductive choices and think that although what this woman did was irresponsible in the extreme, she did choose life for those embryos that the right-wing loves to make talking points out of! I'm not addressing this to anyone particularly in this thread, it's just a general comment about the hypocrisy in some of the outrage I've seen. But I guess we already knew that "pro-life" doesn't extend past the birth, doesn't it!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu February 12th, 2009, 11:04 pm

On the octuplets -- they were all preemies, about two months early, and of very low birthweight. There are going to be problems galore with these poor children -- there can be developmental problems, lung, eye and heart problems, and heaven knows what else. I heard today on the telly that both of Nadya's parents, and the children's father begged the doctor not to implant these embryos, a warning sign that should have been heeded. The more I hear of this story, the more I cringe -- it's pretty clear that Nadya Suleman can't handle the older children, and the octuplets are going to be adding to the mayhem. In the end it's a sad, tragic case.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri February 13th, 2009, 3:53 am

I read somewhere that child services is looking into the matter. Good.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat February 14th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Ok, enough. This woman is now getting death threats. Yes she was wrong, and given the look of happiness on her face in that picture of her carrying eight babies (it hurts just looking at it!), I understand the outrage. But I think now things have been carried to the extreme. I wonder what our country would be like if the same outrage expressed on the street and the media were instead turned to the thousands of people who are homeless, who have lost their homes, their jobs, to the people who have profitted from this misery? Enough of this one woman. Lets get angry for what has happened to our country, and use that energy to get it back.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat February 14th, 2009, 4:31 pm

[quote=""Ash""]I wonder what our country would be like if the same outrage expressed on the street and the media were instead turned to the thousands of people who are homeless, who have lost their homes, their jobs, to the people who have profitted from this misery? [/quote]

Very well said, Ash! I think all the frustration and anger people have about our economy and those who put us in this position seems to be going towards this woman. What she did is appalling but the furor it has caused is really something else.

How about we turn that around and focus it on those bankers who were hauled before congress for the dog and pony show we just saw! While at the same time congress was handing out the rest of the $700 billion with practically no strings attatched and no limit on executive pay. Just like that last $350 billion that did nothing to help the economy whatsoever! And then don't stop there, what about those who pushed for so much deregulation that banks were borrowing $30 for every $1 they had in actual capital! There are a lot of people more deserving of such intense public rage than what seems to be a mentally unbalanced single woman who chose to have a ridiculous amount of children.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat February 14th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Death threats are bad, but she should be put through the wringer in my opinion.

And I dont disagree that the bankers should have the same type of media coverage.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat February 14th, 2009, 8:44 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Ok, enough. This woman is now getting death threats. Yes she was wrong, and given the look of happiness on her face in that picture of her carrying eight babies (it hurts just looking at it!), [/quote]

Those pictures were amazing! Who knew that skin could stretch that far!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”