Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So what do you all think about the Octuplet Births?

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu February 5th, 2009, 2:48 am

[quote=""Volgadon""]Spaying is wrong. Period. If you want to do so to yourself that is one thing, but we don't have the right to enforce it on anyone. There are a lot of dangers, the biggest one in my mind is that you might just fall under it tommorow.[/quote]

No its not. Not when you are this stupid. I'm not the dumbass making the poor choices. I make the right decisions in life. I dont have 14 kids because I know I can't raise them. But' I'll be paying for her stupid mistake. All 14 stupid mistakes.

And who is to say this moron won't do it again.

If you can have 14 kids and afford them, then go for it. Otherwise keep your legs close, and if you can't I really think you should have help with it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu February 5th, 2009, 2:24 pm

As Ellenjane says, the medical profession in the US is held accountable for this type of thing, and something about the whole story smells of fish to me. How did she pay for the treatment? The woman sounds like a con artist (and probably not acting alone) with a get rich quick scheme, not to mention that she might just be messed up in the head AND a master manipulator.

I've known a few women in my life who aren't happy unless they are pregnant. Their goal in life is to get pregnant repeatedly. I think it may even fall into the category of a psychological disorder, but I don't know the name for it (or whether there is one). These women will do anything -- lie, cheat, whatever it takes -- to get pregnant. I don't know if that is true for this woman, but she certainly sounds like a candidate for it.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu February 5th, 2009, 3:30 pm

I have a cousin from San Francisco who married an eighteen year old from a small town in California. She wanted to give birth to as many children possible. He had a vasectomy after the sixth child was born, but she adopted twins without his consent. After the divorce, in the 1960s, she became known as the dancer, Mama Spiegelman, Topless Mother of Eight.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu February 5th, 2009, 9:27 pm

Calling all 14 children stupid mistakes is a bit harsh. One of them could grow up to find a cure for cancer, AIDS, autism, Celiac Disease, Diabetes, politics...etc...

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu February 5th, 2009, 9:39 pm

I wouldn't bank on it. If these kids are even ahem "normal" that will be a miracle. They no doubt have numerous learning disabilities.

Hey I could be wrong, but I still think they were stupid mistakes.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri February 6th, 2009, 2:27 am

Oh here we go the interviews start.

In a brief excerpt of the interview released Thursday, the 33-year-old single mother tells "Today" show anchor Ann Curry she had a dysfunctional childhood and sought to erase that with the closeness children could bring. NBC says the full interview will air Monday.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri February 6th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Spiffy, it just gets better and better!

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Fri February 6th, 2009, 3:51 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Oh here we go the interviews start.[/quote]

I've got the tv on Fox News right now and they briefly spoke about the interview with Anne Curry. The woman has no real understanding of why no one in the country supports her decision. She thinks it's because she's a single mother choosing to have children. No. We all have a problem with her choice because she has no means to pay for what most adults know is a procedure that costs several thousand dollars. She said in a part of the interview that she's going to give them herself. Put her life on hold to give them the love and attention they need. Yet she has no income for paying for any part of their raising. She can have 50 children and never marry for all I care. But when you've already got 6 under the age of 10, you are neglecting their well-being to have more, which is extraordinarily irresponsible.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri February 6th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Her stories contradict themselves. She tells Ann Curry she had a dysfunctional childhood. She told doctors she had a happy childhood with loving and supportive parents. She was even a cheerleader.

Learning disabilities make no difference. Einstein was a lousy student. So was Walt Disney.

In the lady's defense...she only had six eggs implanted (I know it's still a lot). Two of the eggs spontaneously divided into identical twins. Twins within octuplets...strange.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri February 6th, 2009, 4:47 pm

NBC has a video up but I can't listen to it at the PC I'm at. Here's a link to the Fox interview.
With in vitro fertilization, doctors frequently implant more than one embryo to improve the odds that one will take. However, the U.S. fertility industry has guidelines that call for no more than two embryos be implanted for women under 35 "in the absence of extraordinary circumstances."
So even with the six she's claiming were implanted that sounds way over the accepted guidelines, at least according to this article. As for funds, perhaps this is the answer,
More than 300 pages of documents were disclosed to The Associated Press following a public records request to the state Division of Workers' Compensation.

Among other things, they reveal that Suleman collected more than $165,000 in disability payments between 2002 and 2008 for the work injury, which she said left her in near-constant pain and helped end her marriage.
I'm guessing we taxpayers are already footing the bill $165K can sure buy a lot of implants, can't it?

And Lovehistory is right, she appears to be contradicting herself,
Details of the documents were reported the same day that NBC released excerpts of Suleman's first interview since giving birth.

In the interview, Suleman called her childhood as an only child "pretty dysfunctional."

In the state documents, however, doctors quoted her as indicating she had a happy childhood. She told them she was an above-average student at Nogales High School in La Puente, where she enjoyed being a cheerleader, had many friends and stayed out of trouble. She said both her parents were loving and supportive.

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”