Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Masterpiece Classics

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri February 13th, 2009, 4:51 pm

[quote=""LCW""]I googled Tom Brady and think he looks so different in real life from his character. I know, I know, big surprise, right? Lol! And he's so young!! It gave me more respect for his portrayal of Heathcliffe, that's for sure.[/quote]

It's Tom Hardy, not Tom Brady (just in case you were looking up the wrong person).
By the way, the other roles I was thinking of were in 'Stuart: A Life Backwards' and 'Cape Wrath', both very odd and disturbed characters, in which he was clearly acting very well but I couldn't watch.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri February 13th, 2009, 5:16 pm

LOL, no I googled the right person! I just typed the wrong name! Multitasking has risks! :D
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat February 14th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Thank goodness! I was beginning to think Tom Brady had taken up acting.

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Sun February 15th, 2009, 2:37 pm

I think he also played Bill Sikes in the BBC version of Oliver last year. I didn't like their version, but there's no denying he's a compelling actor, in the sense that you are drawn to watching him. I think he's the actor I'm thinking of.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun February 15th, 2009, 5:06 pm

Ah, the intangible and ever-elusive "presence." I love that in an actor.

Anyone know when this will be out on DVD?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sun February 15th, 2009, 5:35 pm

[quote=""alice""]I think he also played Bill Sikes in the BBC version of Oliver last year. I didn't like their version, but there's no denying he's a compelling actor, in the sense that you are drawn to watching him. I think he's the actor I'm thinking of.[/quote]

Yes you're right, Alice, he was Bill Sikes in the recent Oliver, and I didn't like it either! He was quite good, though I thought Timothy Spall was hopelessly miscast as Fagin, and the whole thing seemed a bit pointless as it's been filmed so many times. :mad:

princess garnet
Bibliophile

David Copperfield Encore

Post by princess garnet » Fri February 27th, 2009, 7:09 pm

This Sunday, the Charles Dickens series continues...there's an encore of David Copperfield on PBS.
Young Daniel Radcliffe plays young David in the 1st part. A few "Harry Potter" actors are in this production. Also, video interview of Daniel and Sir Ian McKellan.

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Sat February 28th, 2009, 10:44 pm

That is the most wonderful production of the book I have ever seen! Maggie Smith as Aunt Betsey is brilliant, isn't she? One minute you're laughing out loud, the next, sensing her sensitivity :-) . It's the loveliest version and all the actors are hugely wonderful! Every flicker of their smiles or frowns tells a story in itself! And when she leaves David and reminds him, "Never be cruel...." and has the beginning of a tear...well, it's just brilliant!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon March 2nd, 2009, 1:37 am

Maggie Smith is always brilliant.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu March 12th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Last night watched a DVD 1971 BBC classic "Last of the Mohican's" disc 1.....really impressed with the production....follows the book closely.....Kenneth Ives stars as Hawk Eye, not familiar with the actors; but all are very competent....Very interesting to see the interplay between staged sets and with the scenery....Brought back the great memories of Alistair introducing all of the story and backgrounds....(Not included).....Will watch disc 2 this week end....all in all it's a very charming trip back to the days BBC's production had a look of a great play....Costumes are outstanding......and BTW....no special effects and the outdoor action shots were done in Scotland
Last edited by chuck on Thu March 12th, 2009, 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”