Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Masterpiece Classics

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri February 6th, 2009, 5:12 pm

[quote=""MissMarplestein""]I found I wasn't all that thrilled with this version of Wuthering Heights. I must admit, Heathcliff did grow on me, as did Cathy, but perhaps I am spoiled with the old version. I did not like the way they had Heathcliff die, I won't go into details for those who haven't seen it yet...[/quote]

I saw one version (think it was from the 1970s) where Heathcliff got shot by Edgar...... :mad:

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri February 6th, 2009, 10:09 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]It's funny...in my family we refer to it as Emma Thompson's version. :D It was very well done, and is arguably the best book-to-big-screen adaptation in history. That was my introduction to Jane Austen.[/quote]

It was that version of S&S that got me back into Austen after the obligatory trudge through in high school. So far, after fourteen years, I haven't slowed down in my enjoyment of Austen, which means I guess it stuck. I am very impressed so far with the one that is running on PBS this weekend.

alice
Reader

Post by alice » Sat February 7th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Ooh, you've got the new version of WH that we haven't seen over here yet. I can't wait, but I'm concerned that they won't follow the book, like all the other versions.

MissMarplestein
Reader

Post by MissMarplestein » Sat February 7th, 2009, 4:48 pm

[quote=""alice""]Ooh, you've got the new version of WH that we haven't seen over here yet. I can't wait, but I'm concerned that they won't follow the book, like all the other versions.[/quote]

They followed the book somewhat, but the verdict is still out for me. As I said, Heathcliff grew on me, but still not sure if I liked him. Tom Hardy definitely got the brooding part right, but it might have been a bit overdone, for my taste. I know every producer/director takes liberties and adds in their own thoughts, but I did not like the way Heathcliff died, nor a few other things that happened. I won't say more for I don't want to be a plot spoiler...I will leave it as this: this may be one version I'd have to see over again to make a judgement. Of course, can anyone compare to Merle Oberon and Lawrence Olivier?

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat February 7th, 2009, 6:23 pm

I saw part two of the series last night and loved it. Of course, I haven't read the book in ages and plan to reread it soon so my opinion may change. I loved Tom Hardy as Heathcliff and thought he brought a vulnerability to the role that allowed one, at least this one, to look beyond the awful things he did and see how they were all driven either by his love for Cathy or his horrible treatment by Linton. Very enjoyable for me overall!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Tue February 10th, 2009, 1:00 am

I just watched both parts back to back and really loved it. I thought Tom Hardy was excellent. I was by turns repulsed and attracted to him.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue February 10th, 2009, 10:34 am

[quote=""MrsMorland""]I just watched both parts back to back and really loved it. I thought Tom Hardy was excellent. I was by turns repulsed and attracted to him.[/quote]

He seems to seek out parts like that. I can think of several roles he's had where he's both been compelling and uncomfortable to watch at the same time.

MrsMorland
Reader

Post by MrsMorland » Fri February 13th, 2009, 12:21 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]He seems to seek out parts like that. I can think of several roles he's had where he's both been compelling and uncomfortable to watch at the same time.[/quote]

I think the only other thing I've seen him in is Band of Brothers and he had a small part. I'll have to see what else he's done.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri February 13th, 2009, 12:16 pm

[quote=""MrsMorland""]I think the only other thing I've seen him in is Band of Brothers and he had a small part. I'll have to see what else he's done.[/quote]

He was in a drama shown in the UK last year (over Easter I think) about London being flooded called, you guessed it, "Flood". It was OK, lots of CGI and the usual guessing as to who would survive and who wouldn't, watchable but daft.

He also played Robert Dudley in the BBC's "Elizabeth I" shown about 4 years ago.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri February 13th, 2009, 4:07 pm

I googled Tom Brady and think he looks so different in real life from his character. I know, I know, big surprise, right? Lol! And he's so young!! It gave me more respect for his portrayal of Heathcliffe, that's for sure.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”