Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

HF aimed at Jr. High girls

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat September 6th, 2008, 2:45 pm

"Ash" wrote:Why not? How do you define YA versus adult?

I define it as a book whose main characters are teenagers and the adult characters are secondary characters. That doesnt mean that teens cant read adult books because some of them do. I had a student who didnt want all the stupid YA romance stuff, as she put it.
Last edited by diamondlil on Sat September 6th, 2008, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Tapper1

Postby Tapper1 » Sun October 5th, 2008, 4:25 pm

The book I mentioned on your "boys thread" I could recommend for girls to, to be honest. My daughter goes to an all girls school, from where she got this book in the library, and it appears to be a popular read. She certainly enjoyed it and has learnt alot about that particualr period of history too.

MrsMorland
Reader

Postby MrsMorland » Sat November 1st, 2008, 9:05 pm

Libba Bray's series is really good, I think. The first is A Great and Terrible Beauty. Has lots of supernatural elements to it, and is set in the early Edwardian era I believe. I enjoyed them.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat November 1st, 2008, 9:15 pm

I enjoyed the first two. Haven't read the third one yet.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Sat November 1st, 2008, 10:09 pm

Third one is a bit long winded for my taste.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Anna Elliott
Compulsive Reader

Postby Anna Elliott » Mon March 30th, 2009, 2:22 am

Laurie R. King's The Beekeeper's Apprentice is one of my favorite reads and would appeal to girls 14 and up, I think. It's a historical mystery--Mary, the main character and a 15 year old girl, becomes friends and informal "apprentice" to a retired Sherlock Holmes. It's often shelved in the adult section, but there's nothing objectionable in terms of subject or language, and the book paints an incredibly vivid picture of WWI era Britain.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]
Author of the Twilight of Avalon trilogy
new book: Dark Moon of Avalon, coming Sept 14 from Simon &Schuster (Touchstone)
[/COLOR]
User signature picture

http://www.annaelliottbooks.com

ejays17
Reader

Postby ejays17 » Mon March 30th, 2009, 10:08 am

Not available at the moment, but probably able to be found in libraries, are the "Mantlemass" books by Barbara Willard. They cover the period between 1485 - 1644, and basically follow 2 families down the time.
Chronologically they are:
The Miller's Boy (1976) - set in 1479
The Lark and the Laurel (1970) - opens in 1485
The Sprig of Broom (1971) - begins in 1506
A Cold Wind Blowing (1972) - set in the 1530s
The Eldest Son (1977) - also set in the 1530s (tells the story of what happens "at home" while the main character of the previous book is away)
The Iron Lily (1973)
A Flight of Swans (1980) - opens as the Spanish Armada sails on England
Harrow and Harvest (1974) is the last Mantlemass novel. In the 1640s, Mantlemass is in decline, and there is uncertainty over who the heir will be.

The Keys of Mantlemass (1981) is a collection of short stories, bridging some gaps between the novels, and relating some incidents in more detail. The collection enhances the unity of the series and answers questions about some of the minor characters. The final story provides the finishing touch, bringing the Mantlemass story up to date, with a young woman from the American branch of the Medleys returning to the forest in search of her family history.

She's also written other YA historicals, but her Mantlemass are the best-known.

Return to “Young Adult Historical Fiction”