Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Feb 2009 - What are you reading?

Retired Threads
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed February 4th, 2009, 10:03 am

[quote=""chuck""]EC....I'm enjoying your ""Falcons of Montabard" Crusaders, the Outreamer, Baldwin....whats not to like.... very interesting characters, especially like the tension, your descriptions are very visual....At page 150 Gerbet's entourage has just arrived at Montabard......[/quote]

Thank you Chuck,
It was a novel that had to be written to get the Holy Land out of my system, or at least to give it closure. My first ever effort at a novel hen I was 15 was set in Outremer, and I felt I had to come full circle!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Wed February 4th, 2009, 10:24 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]Pretty much all the time!

It doesn't usually make a lot of difference, but every now and again there is a book that you read where it potentially changing the reading experience.[/quote]

I've never done that. In fact, I pretty much try to avoid reading even the jacket description!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 4th, 2009, 3:36 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Pretty much all the time!

It doesn't usually make a lot of difference, but every now and again there is a book that you read where it potentially changing the reading experience.[/quote]

Now that's something I never ever do - although then when I get to the end and I find the author's put in a glossary or other helpful reference material that I could have used while reading the book!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed February 4th, 2009, 3:55 pm

[quote=""chuck""]EC....I'm enjoying your ""Falcons of Montabard" Crusaders, the Outreamer, Baldwin....whats not to like.... very interesting characters, especially like the tension, your descriptions are very visual....At page 150 Gerbet's entourage has just arrived at Montabard......[/quote]

Falcons was my first EC book and then I ended up buying them all, I was permanently hooked. I found Sabin to be quite a hottie (not that Chuck would mind you), and I loved watching him mature. Quite a nail biting finish too.

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Thu February 5th, 2009, 2:38 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving[/quote]

I read this when it first came out and I was quite young. And I adored it. Now years later and assuming some personal growth and certain rather significant life changing events (without giving anything away) and I think I need to pull my old hardcover copy out for a re-read.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu February 5th, 2009, 3:51 am

I just finished The Twice Born by Pauline Gedge. I'm reviewing it for Historical Novels Review, but once that review is published, I'll add it here. It's truly excellent. Gedge's depth of knowledge of Egyptian spirituality and the Book of Thoth is so amazing; she constructs a world of myth and reality with seamless artistry. Her character Huy, the seer, is tormented and obsessed; yet so human.

Next up: Winter by Madrid by C.J. Samson. I love his Tudor mysteries and I've heard excellent comments about this one, set in 1940s Madrid, right after the Spanish Civil War. I started it last night and was swept right in.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Post by Vanessa » Thu February 5th, 2009, 8:27 am

[quote=""gyrehead""]I read this when it first came out and I was quite young. And I adored it. Now years later and assuming some personal growth and certain rather significant life changing events (without giving anything away) and I think I need to pull my old hardcover copy out for a re-read.[/quote]

I'm enjoying it so far. It's the first book I've read by John Irving and I'm liking his style of writing. This book was recommended to me as a good one to start with.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu February 5th, 2009, 11:25 am

I've just started Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts (not HF).

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu February 5th, 2009, 11:49 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm enjoying it so far. It's the first book I've read by John Irving and I'm liking his style of writing. This book was recommended to me as a good one to start with.[/quote]

I couldn't get on with A Prayer for Owen Meany and it was a DNF for me. However, I absolutely loved The Cider House Rules by the same author.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Thu February 5th, 2009, 12:56 pm

[quote=""Alaric""]But since it's been so hot here this week I just haven't been in the mood to read, so I'm barely at page 100. It's a good thing I already know the story, lol.[/quote]

Still not happening. :( Maybe I might read something else instead.

Return to “Archives”