Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Feb 2009 - What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 6:54 pm

Oooh, please let me know how you enjoy The Elephant Keeper, EC, as I bought that the other weekend. I have a 'thing' about elephants!! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Caveowl
Scribbler

Post by Caveowl » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 7:38 pm

Reading "With Speed and Violence" by Fred Pearce, an NF book that currently is telling me how Peruvian potato farmers can predict El Nino weather in Australia. Scary stuff.

Reading "Shadow of the Moon" by Douglas Jones, where I'm learning about Scots-Irish hard times leading to migration to America.

Waiting for library reserves: (1) "Wesley the Owl," and (2) "Horizon: Sharing Knife" by Bujold.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 10:22 pm

I've really enjoyed Lois McMaster Bujold's "Chalion" and "Sharing Knife" series.
She reminds me a bit of another favourite author, Liz Williams.

Just finishing off Lion Feutchwanger's "Josephus", first in a trilogy about the ambiguous Jewish historian of the first century AD. It covers the role of josephus in the first Jewish-Roman War (66-73 AD). It's a little dated in style, but what a brilliant and absorbing story! I'll have to get onto seeing if i can track the next book in the series, called "The Jews of Rome".

Next on the list, "Cathedral of the Sea", by Ildefonso Falcones.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 10:46 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Oooh, please let me know how you enjoy The Elephant Keeper, EC, as I bought that the other weekend. I have a 'thing' about elephants!! :D [/quote]

Will do. I'll post a mini review when I'm done. I'm enjoying it quite a lot so far.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 1:39 am

Last night I started EC's The Champion. So far, I really like the story.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 8:21 am

[quote=""annis""]I've really enjoyed Lois McMaster Bujold's "Chalion" and "Sharing Knife" series.
She reminds me a bit of another favourite author, Liz Williams.

Just finishing off Lion Feutchwanger's "Josephus", first in a trilogy about the ambiguous Jewish historian of the first century AD. It covers the role of josephus in the first Jewish-Roman War (66-73 AD). It's a little dated in style, but what a brilliant and absorbing story! I'll have to get onto seeing if i can track the next book in the series, called "The Jews of Rome".

Next on the list, "Cathedral of the Sea", by Ildefonso Falcones.[/quote]

I've never heard of Liz Williams before. I have heard lots of good things about Cathedral of the Sea! I am hoping to read it one of these days but it hasn't come into my library yet!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 8:28 am

Just starting The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge, a book she did years ago about Boudicca and the Romans. People rave about it, but I avoided it for some time so there was no cross-pollination with my own. It was out of print but has just been re-released if anyone wants it!
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 8:57 am

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 12:02 pm

[quote=""juleswatson""]Just starting The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge, a book she did years ago about Boudicca and the Romans. People rave about it, but I avoided it for some time so there was no cross-pollination with my own. It was out of print but has just been re-released if anyone wants it![/quote]

I read this one years ago and enjoyed it at a 9 out of 10 level back then.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue February 3rd, 2009, 12:15 pm

[quote=""juleswatson""]Just starting The Eagle and the Raven by Pauline Gedge, a book she did years ago about Boudicca and the Romans. People rave about it, but I avoided it for some time so there was no cross-pollination with my own. It was out of print but has just been re-released if anyone wants it![/quote]

I've wanted to read this one but haven't bought it yet. It isnt at my library so I would have to get my own copy. What are your thoughts about it so far?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Archives”