Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Feb 2009 - What are you reading?

Retired Threads
gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Sun February 15th, 2009, 7:45 pm

I just started Kalogridis' the Devil's Queen. I was going to start it earlier but it didn't grab me and so I went with something else. Then I was traveling way too much this week and the book has a promotional cd in the back. Note of advice. Books with promo cds can cause all kinds of problems with airport security. I've learned my lesson and not just through singular circumstance. So it sat at home.

So now I'm returning to the book and hope it grabs enough I can polish it off tonight.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun February 15th, 2009, 7:46 pm

I am starting Portrait in Death by J D Robb this morning.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun February 15th, 2009, 7:47 pm

[quote=""gyrehead""]I just started Kalogridis' the Devil's Queen. I was going to start it earlier but it didn't grab me and so I went with something else. Then I was traveling way too much this week and the book has a promotional cd in the back. Note of advice. Books with promo cds can cause all kinds of problems with airport security. I've learned my lesson and not just through singular circumstance. So it sat at home.

So now I'm returning to the book and hope it grabs enough I can polish it off tonight.[/quote]

I will be very interested to hear how this is. I loved The Borgia Bride
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sun February 15th, 2009, 8:25 pm

[quote=""gyrehead""]I just started Kalogridis' the Devil's Queen. I was going to start it earlier but it didn't grab me and so I went with something else. Then I was traveling way too much this week and the book has a promotional cd in the back. Note of advice. Books with promo cds can cause all kinds of problems with airport security. I've learned my lesson and not just through singular circumstance. So it sat at home.

So now I'm returning to the book and hope it grabs enough I can polish it off tonight.[/quote]

I'm looking forward to reading that one! I thought it wasn't coming out until the summer, though?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun February 15th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Still busy with Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman. Just about half way now.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

TLee
Reader

Post by TLee » Sun February 15th, 2009, 10:34 pm

I am reading the Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent - not sure if I like it or not.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon February 16th, 2009, 12:26 am

I have just finished Company of Liars, and have started Winds of Tara by Katherine Pinotti. I got it from the LTER program, and have been really slack about getting around to reading it! I had to watch Gone With the Wind a couple of weeks ago to refresh my memory as I read GWTW about 20 years ago! Yikes.....I don't feel old enough to be able to say that!

ETA: I have had The Devil's Queen on my wishlist for ages. I love Catherine de Medici (courtesy of La Reine Margot)! So I will be another one avidly waiting to see what you think gyrehead.
Last edited by Amanda on Mon February 16th, 2009, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon February 16th, 2009, 2:23 am

Speaking of not knowing how the story ends: I just finished Loving Frank. The end was a total shock and I am still rather dizzy from it. Wow. I was going to say that this book was less than I expected, that I didn't think either character was fleshed out enough, or that there was little that explained why Mamah would leave her children and run away with Frank Lloyd Wright, and stay with him so long. But the ending may have made up for it all. Wow. But I still have many quibbles with the book, mainly that she made what should have been a very hot affair rather boring, so Id give it a 3.

Vanessa, how are you doing with the book?

TC Boyle has a new book our called The Women, about the four women in Wrights life, among them his mistress. Looking forward to reading that.
Last edited by Ash on Mon February 16th, 2009, 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon February 16th, 2009, 2:25 am

[quote=""Amanda""]Just finished Suite Francaise and I have now started Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.[/quote]

Amanda, what did you think of SF? If you liked it, you might want to read her Fire in the Blood, which was very successful in her lifetime, to give you a taste of her writing when it wasn't a draft!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon February 16th, 2009, 2:31 am

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Ash, let me know what you think about The Invention of Everything Else when you're done. It's yet another novel I've really wanted to read but was waiting for the paperback.[/quote]

Im finding Tesla too close to the main character in History of Love, a favroite of mine, so its a little rough going right now. But I'm interested enough in him to think this will pass.

Return to “Archives”