Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Feb 2009 - What are you reading?

Retired Threads
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri February 13th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Currently reading Lady's Maid, by Margaret Forster.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat February 14th, 2009, 3:29 am

Is that the one about Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Kasthu? I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Finally made a start on "Needle in the Blood". Hopefully I'll get to finish it before February finishes and we're onto March's BOTM.
Last edited by annis on Sat February 14th, 2009, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat February 14th, 2009, 4:25 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]Currently reading Lady's Maid, by Margaret Forster.[/quote]

Oh! How is that. I saw it in a store two years ago and have wanted to read it, but never got a chance.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat February 14th, 2009, 6:42 am

I've been trying to read "The Bone Race: A Quest for Dinosaur Fossils" by Steve Butz (fiction), but the writing doesn't flow well and every time the author means "an" it gets spelled "and". I think it's a print on demand book or something similar. I'm going to wall bang it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Sat February 14th, 2009, 5:39 pm

[quote=""annis""]Is that the one about Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Kasthu? I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

Finally made a start on "Needle in the Blood". Hopefully I'll get to finish it before February finishes and we're onto March's BOTM.[/quote]

Yes, it's about Elizabeth Barrett Browning, told through the eyes of her maid, Lily Wilson. So far I'm enjoying it. I don't know much about EBB, but since Forster wrote a biography of her, it sounds as though Lady's Maid is historically accurate. I love those Victorian-style novels that are told though the eyes of the maid etc., and this book is right up my alley.

MissMarplestein
Reader

Post by MissMarplestein » Sat February 14th, 2009, 9:00 pm

I am plowing my way through Penmarric...had a hard time getting into the novel, but I am now almost midway through and finally grabbing me. I can't wait to see how the story unfolds.

"I have dreamed thee too long,
never seen thee or touched thee
but known thee with all of my heart.
Half a prayer, half a song,
thou hast always been with me,
though we have been always apart." Man of LaMancha

MissMarplestein

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat February 14th, 2009, 10:27 pm

[quote=""MissMarplestein""]I am plowing my way through Penmarric...had a hard time getting into the novel, but I am now almost midway through and finally grabbing me. I can't wait to see how the story unfolds.[/quote]

See now I got off to a quick start and felt bogged down in the center until..... oh you know I can't tell you :p :) :rolleyes:

I've got Cashelmara sitting on the bookshelf begging to be read (I really want to read how she handles the demise of Edward II, let alone Despenser), but those dang library holds have taken over.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sun February 15th, 2009, 5:07 am

Katharine of Aragon by Jean Plaidy. Started it this morning.

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Sun February 15th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Halfway through, and thoroughly enjoying, The Tailor's Daughter by Janice Graham.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sun February 15th, 2009, 4:43 pm

I started Sandra Worth's The King's Daughter last night.

Return to “Archives”