Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dorothy Dunnett

Diiarts
Scribbler
Location: I'm based in Hampshire (UK) but we also have a partner based in Kentucky, USA

Postby Diiarts » Tue August 31st, 2010, 9:52 pm

"annis" wrote:Has anyone else ever had the probably heretical thought, "Why didn't on earth didn't Francis just talk to his mother"? Mind you, if he had, then we would have missed out on all those fabulous stories--

There's never a "like" button around when you need one...
www.diiarts.com - books for people who love books

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Postby SGM » Wed September 1st, 2010, 7:40 pm

"annis" wrote:Has anyone else ever had the probably heretical thought, "Why didn't on earth didn't Francis just talk to his mother"? Mind you, if he had, then we would have missed out on all those fabulous stories--

There you go, now I have to read all six books to find out what you mean. I can see very little else happening in my life until this is done.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Eigon
Reader

Postby Eigon » Sat October 2nd, 2010, 7:21 pm

I did notice in the sixth book that Dorothy Dunnett made it very hard for Francis just to drop everything and head back to Midculter to ask Sybilla what she knew. I've just finished Checkmate, by the way - and what an emotional rollercoaster! I found myself shouting at Phillippa and Francis several times (lucky I read alone!).
Can Dorothy Dunnett possibly have mapped the whole six volumes out from the very beginning? The story wrapped up very satisfactorily, tidying up all manner of loose ends - so was the Dame de Doubtance always meant to have such a guiding hand over events, or was she introduced as a colourful character and later given the extra significance?
"There were no full time Vikings back then. Everybody had another job."
Neil Gaiman, from Odd and the Frost Giants.

Eigon
Reader

Postby Eigon » Sun October 3rd, 2010, 7:20 pm

I've had another thought overnight (I'm allowed one a day).
Dorothy Dunnett stopped at the accession of Elizabeth I, or thereabouts - but what would have happened to the Lymond line after that?
I can see someone young, blond and incredibly gifted in military strategy leading a company of mercenaries through the Thirty Years War, and another descendant getting involved with the '45 Rebellion (and probably escaping over the heather by the skin of his teeth back to Sevigny), or embroiled in the French Revolution (again escaping by the skin of his teeth).
Does anyone have any other ideas?
"There were no full time Vikings back then. Everybody had another job."

Neil Gaiman, from Odd and the Frost Giants.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Postby SGM » Mon October 4th, 2010, 8:59 am

How about the Lymond family during the Act of Union. I can only think of one novel dealing with that and that is from the perspective of Daniel Defoe --The English Spy.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue October 5th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Here's a cover of Game of Kings on the edition I nabbed at Sunday's book haul.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Tue October 5th, 2010, 10:31 pm

"Misfit" wrote:Here's a cover of Game of Kings on the edition I nabbed at Sunday's book haul.

OMG - One of the sexiest men in history is made to look a total plonker!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Tue October 5th, 2010, 11:48 pm

"EC2" wrote:OMG - One of the sexiest men in history is made to look a total plonker!

;) :o :p

I saw that and I just couldn't resist. Now I have to find a home for it, as I already own the series in the newer editions.
At home with a good book and the cat...

...is the only place I want to be

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Postby donroc » Wed October 6th, 2010, 2:12 am

"Misfit" wrote:Here's a cover of Game of Kings on the edition I nabbed at Sunday's book haul.

I can imagine what N.C. Wyeth could have done with all the Dunnett book covers.
User signature picture

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6OtI&feature=channel_page

Michy
Bibliophile

Postby Michy » Wed October 6th, 2010, 4:30 am

"EC2" wrote:OMG - One of the sexiest men in history is made to look a total plonker!

I haven't read any of Dunnett's books, although she is only list to try. So of course I don't know who this book is about. But now my interest is WAY piqued! :D WHO is one of the sexiest men in history?!

Return to “Dorothy Dunnett”