Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

have you ever travelled to a place...

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri January 30th, 2009, 3:43 pm

[quote=""Carine""]And then the other way around, I visited Normandy and seen the Bayeux Tapestry and am now very eager to start Needle in the Blood.
In september we are planning a trip to Carcassonne and I'm now looking for HF about the Cathars.[/quote]

I visited the Bayeaux Tapestry in 1999... just fell in love with it. If you're interested in the Conquest, there's another novel about it that's quite good--The Last English King (or something similarly titled), by Julian Rathbone.

I just finished The Glassblower of Murano, and I'm dying to get back to Venice sometime soon-when I can afford it.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri January 30th, 2009, 3:46 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I've been to Cornwall several times and have managed to visit most of the places mentioned in Du Maurier books - except Frenchman's Creek, which I didn't have time to get to as the weather (yes you guessed it) was lousy! However I've been to Jamaica Inn and driven over Bodmin Moor. I've also been to Lorna Doone country in Devon and looked down on the village where she was shot in the church, and visited most of the towns mentioned in the book. I've been to Stratford-on-Avon several times, Shakespeare isn't really my thing but it's a lovely little town and well worth a visit in its own right.

I've been to the Tower of London but not for a long time (school trip!) and would like to visit Hever Castle (where Anne Boleyn spent a lot of time) at some point. I would also love to go to Carcassonne![/quote]

I was in Stratford for a short period in 2001--it's a cute little town, isn't it? Speaking of cute, Hever Castle is, too--cosy, actually. It's not what I expected from the Boleyns at all. But it got me reading a lot of Tudor fiction (and nonfiction) after that.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri January 30th, 2009, 3:52 pm

[quote=""MLE""] Every place was already alive in my mind from one book or another.[/quote]

That is very true - I ususally have some image of the places I travel to, based on my reads. Which is why I love reading so much - it gives me some background to my visits, and then spurs me to read more about the places.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Fri January 30th, 2009, 7:21 pm

I haven't intentionally based a holiday on places I've read HF about, but a few have coincided, mainly England and Russia.

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Fri January 30th, 2009, 8:28 pm

Yes and no. I was on an estended work vacation in Switzerland and Italy and took along my tattered copies of Dorothy Dunnett's House of Niccolo books. On weekends and days off I would hunt down the sites mentioned that were either quick drives or in some cases walkable depending on where I happend to be staying. Drove my traveling companions nuts as they wanted to simply drink and complain about not being home.

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Sat January 31st, 2009, 12:02 am

I took a side trip to Chartres while I was in Paris. I don't know what book I would have read about it in - probably one of Sharon Kay Penman's first. It does tend to pop up now and then. The trip was well worth it!

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 7:12 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]I visited the Bayeaux Tapestry in 1999... just fell in love with it. If you're interested in the Conquest, there's another novel about it that's quite good--The Last English King (or something similarly titled), by Julian Rathbone. [/quote]

Kasthu, I fell in love with it too, it's facinating that Tapestry !

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind !

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Thu February 5th, 2009, 2:50 am

A play on the same question would be 'do you adjust your reading material prior to a vacation or what you take with you on vacation depending on the locale?"

Oddly when I travel with the US I find I stick with fantasy and science fiction. But when I travel to Europe or Asia I tend to at least go with period fiction if not tied to the exact locale. Even in cities like Hong Kong and Singapore I want to wallow in something evocative of history and passage of time.

MissMarplestein
Reader

Post by MissMarplestein » Fri February 6th, 2009, 1:55 pm

[quote=""keny from prague""]because youd read about it in a historical fiction book?[/quote]

I can't say that I've actually gone to a specific site because of reading it in a book; however I have been many places- Versailles, Tower of London, Edinburgh Castle... I did go to Key Largo after seeing the movie 'Key Largo'; and I do intend to visit Wales - since reading Here Be Dragons, that place has haunted me.

enelya
Reader

Post by enelya » Mon February 16th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Last saturday I visited Chartres cathedral with some friends, a daytrip from Holland. I loved it. I have visited many churches and cathedrals over the years, but this one has a special place in my heart...

Return to “General Discussion”