Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Listening vs Reading a Book

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Listening vs Reading a Book

Post by Ludmilla » Wed January 28th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Thought this might make an interesting debate topic. With downloads from libraries and online sources becoming more common, I've noticed listening to books is becoming more popular. I've also noticed that a lot of people count their audio books as books read. I view those experiences as quite distinct. I'm not proposing one is superior to another, but rather that they engage the senses differently and what we focus on in one may not coincide with what we get out of the other experience. To me, the difference between reading and listening is almost, but not quite, as wide as reading and watching a faithful film adaptation.

What are your views?

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed January 28th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Interesting question and observations, Ludmilla. I can't fully answer yet because I've never listened to an audio book, but intend to download several to my new iPod with 50 gig still free and then listen in public or wherever I am whenever I want to hear a story rather than music.

I prefer published books over any other medium and believe I'd still rather experience stories using visual senses, but will branch out in the near future. I see lots of reviews on Amazon commenting on the narrator's voice, accent or style of narration and wonder if I might be put off by a particular narrator rather the audio storytelling experience on the whole. If I get really annoyed by the narration, I'll just pause that book forever, but won't be 'wallbanging' my iPod!

Also, I intend to go the library with my laptop and import audio books into iTunes and then later sync it with my iPod. I could check it out and do the same thing at home though. When I've listened to the book, I intend to delete it from iTunes forever. (If this even works) Are there any moral or ethical issues regarding this type of library download?
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 28th, 2009, 5:56 pm

I prefer reading, having the book in my hands or on my lap depending on the size. Listening to books on my head phones or reading them on my computer or small screen like Kindle or others would just cause me to have more headaches and migraines, and then I wouldn't want to do either, so I'll stick with the one that causes me less pain and more enjoyment! :)

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Wed January 28th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Wed January 28th, 2009, 6:06 pm

I prefer reading a book rather than listening to it aswell.
I have tried it once but it seems I can't concentrate as well as when I'm reading it, I'd have to close my eyes maybe because my mind seems to wanders because I'm seeing other things in the mean time. I hope that doesn't sound stupid !?

Also, I love paper !

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed January 28th, 2009, 7:49 pm

This subject came up on a library listserv that I belong last year.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Wed January 28th, 2009, 8:16 pm

I've never tried to listen to a full audiobook, but I do know that when I try to listen to a play on the radio I tend to fall asleep.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed January 28th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Never listened to an audiobook, but I like the comparison to the book/movie difference. I love "book" books.

And I can't imagine having time to listen to an audiobook at any point in the near future. I'd love an Ipod but if I had one, I'd use it for music exclusivley.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed January 28th, 2009, 9:20 pm

[quote=""Carine""]I prefer reading a book rather than listening to it aswell.
I have tried it once but it seems I can't concentrate as well as when I'm reading it, I'd have to close my eyes maybe because my mind seems to wanders because I'm seeing other things in the mean time. I hope that doesn't sound stupid !?

Also, I love paper ![/quote]

I have the same concentration issues! I often try to listen to BBC Radio 4 history programs online, and I have great difficulty in concentrating on listening. I might just pick up the mouse to say, check if I have any new email, or check the weather, and before I know it I am off looking at something else, and I haven't listened to anything for the last 10 minutes.

I have listened to a couple of audiobooks in the car, and found that a bit better concentration wise. However with the 2 boys in the car with me all the time now, we always have to listen to The Wiggles!

My husband likes to sit in the dark and listen to music. I get very fidgety if he does this as I think "I could be reading something!"

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed January 28th, 2009, 9:20 pm

I've only listened to audio books that were novels that I was teaching. For my own personal reading, I prefer to read from books. I can't imagine listening to a novel and not holding a book in my hands!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Wed January 28th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Audio books can be enjoyable once in a while if narrated well, but I prefer holding a book. I did both read George MacDonald Frazer's war memoirs and listen to them on audiobook because some moments just cry out to hear Geordie.

Return to “Audiobooks”