Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

HF about the Cathars

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Tue January 27th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions everyone.

A few of the writers you mentionned I had never heard about and I will certainly have a look for them.

A couple of others I have on my TBR pile like EC's Daughters of the Grail and Alys Clare's Whiter than the Lily but didn't actually know they were about the Cathars.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 27th, 2009, 6:40 pm

EC 's timeslip mention reminds me of aanother timeslip novel about the Cathars which I read many years ago: "The Quiet Earth", by Elizabeth Harris.

There's an interesting novel about the Cathars by ltalian author Adriano Petta, a professor of the history of science. It's called
"The Path of the Sun"( original title "Pure Heresy") It's quite hard to come by, but worth a read.
Adriano Petta is fascinated by points in time where the flowering of free thought and knowledge is overthrown by religious zealotry. He's also written a novel about Hypatia of Alexandria, who was murdered in 415 AD.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue January 27th, 2009, 7:52 pm

I agree on "The Fire and The Light"!!! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Labyrinth was good too.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed January 28th, 2009, 6:36 am

I think you've solved a mystery for me, EC. I kept recalling a book about the Cathars which I read in the '80s- one of those annoying ones where the story stays in your mind but not the useful stuff like the author and title. I haven't ever been able to track it down, but there it is in your post- Robert Shea's "All Things are Lights"! Thanks very much :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed January 28th, 2009, 10:42 am

[quote=""annis""]I think you've solved a mystery for me, EC. I kept recalling a book about the Cathars which I read in the '80s- one of those annoying ones where the story stays in your mind but not the useful stuff like the author and title. I haven't ever been able to track it down, but there it is in your post- Robert Shea's "All Things are Lights"! Thanks very much :) [/quote]

I didn't remember the author initially Annis, but I did know the title, which helped. There is a follow up book, but I don't remember its title, but I guess if I went googling Robert Shea, now I have his name, I'd find it.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed January 28th, 2009, 5:25 pm

He did go for two volume series. I do remember him doing that in a series about Medieval Japan,"Shike" and another one set in the Crusade era called 'Saracen", though I had forgotten that he wrote the story about the Cathars.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed January 28th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Yes, I remember Shike. I think I may even have read it - although I've forgotten it all now. I didn't know about Saracen though.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu January 29th, 2009, 3:36 am

I enjoyed Derek Lee Armstrong's "The Last Troubadour" Song of Montsegur....I'm not sure how accurate the story and characters are....First of a trilogy.....Some of the characters loosely based on Tarot cards and their symbolism....A bit of a stretch, but it works for me....a very interesting read and I love reading and learning more about the mysterious people of the light....Looking forward to reading DA's second novel in the series "The Last Quest"

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu January 29th, 2009, 2:54 pm

They're nonfiction, but I suggest Rene Weis's The Yellow Cross, or Le Roy Ladurie's Montaillou.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri January 30th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Carine, I read Kate Mosse's "Labyrinth", which I was a bit so-so about, but I found the NF book by her husband Greg very interesting and you might too, if you're travelling to Cathar country. It's called "Secrets of the Labyrith"

Return to “Later Medieval”