Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Giving up on a dream, take two

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri January 30th, 2009, 3:34 am

Just to give you some perspective, Andromeda, my mother is Spanish-born and so I technically can apply for EU citizenship. If you have a European-born parent, the EU allows you to apply.

I used to have dual citizenship because I was raised in Spain but when I turned 18, because I am male, the US made me choose my citizenship due to registering for possible military service. Also, Spain at that time had obligatory military service, so as I'd returned to the US by then I would have had to move back to Spain to perform two years of service, if I wanted to keep my dual citizenship - which Spain would, and still does, recognize, but to date the US does not.

The US has dual citizenship agreements with few countries; Spain has tried four separate times to get an agreement with us and has been turned down, most frequently by the Bush Administration due to the ubiquitous national security concerns.

I've now been looking into applying for my EU citizenship again and even with a Spanish mother there is still a massive amount of paperwork to fill out, security clearances to obtain, and I must first travel to Spain to set up residence. It's never easy these days to immigrate or even get long-term visas; 9/11 changed it for everyone, and Spain has had its own set of terrorist concerns that complicate an already complex situation.

I think the issue you face has far less to do with discrimination than an overall tightening of immigration rules, yet as others have pointed out, there are ways and I know of several people who recently re-located to Europe for work without undue hardship.

I'd suggest, don't give up. Just get more accurate information.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri January 30th, 2009, 3:52 am

Don't give up on the dream, Andromeda!!! My dream throughout high school was to attend college in America and then move to France. When I learned in 12th grade about how difficult it would be to obtain French citizenship, I was rather sad. Still, I kept it in the back of my mind, and several years later I met my husband, who is an EU citizen and speaks French. My point is not to marry an EU citizen (!), but that you never know how dreams may come to fruition. I have a very good friend who teaches English in China, and now permanently resides there, and another close friend who teaches English in Japan. If they can do it, surely you can!!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Return to “Chat”