Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

We're British, Innit

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Wed January 28th, 2009, 10:09 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]Well apparently, towns and villages that still have half-day closing are those in which witchcraft and ritual sacrifice are still practiced "with the half day being used to complete tasks associated with these practices, such as rounding up virgins and sharpening knives." :D [/quote]

Well quite a few small towns around here still have half day closing, but as it is Lancashire there may be some truth in this. (Not that I believe a word of it. People have half a day off to go to the seaside.)
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu January 29th, 2009, 2:38 pm

[quote=""EC2""]LOL Sweetpotatoboy!
I had heard the phrase before and thought it might be something along those lines - but I was kind of hoping it had more to do with the British passion for animals - Oh! I am digging myself into a hole here! :o :rolleyes: [/quote]

LOL!!! EC if it makes you feel better, your love of animals is mentioned as well, just later in the book and the author also mentiones a penchant for giving pets gifts at Christmas. But we do that too. At least I do! :p

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu January 29th, 2009, 5:32 pm

With regard to 'dogging', apparently it's not a good idea to put a light on in your car if you're in a car park as it's a sign you're available!!!!!!!!!! :eek: They were chatting about it on a radio show a while ago and I couldn't believe what I was hearing - I'd never heard of it before. I hope they don't visit school car parks, as I usually take my book with me when going to pick up my daughter and if it's dark and I have to wait a while, I use one of those book lights! LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Winter Beneath the Stars by Jo Thomas
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 29th, 2009, 5:35 pm

You might be in for a shock then Vanessa!

There was quite a bit of publicity about "dogging" a while ago when quite a famous English footballer was allegedly caught watching the practice, wasn't proved of course but that was the only time I heard about it. Think it's quite popular around Hampstead Heath and other open spaces apparently!

I always used to buy my dog presents, I'd bring her back some biscuits or a toy when I went on holiday and I'd wrap up her Xmas presents.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Thu January 29th, 2009, 5:36 pm

If I giggle any harder, Vanessa, I will be forced to blame it on you. I'm at work and excessive giggling is a no-no. :p

Anita Davison
Scribbler

Post by Anita Davison » Thu January 29th, 2009, 7:26 pm

All Things English
- dogging - Never known anyone who indulges in this and have no inclination to
- dislike of Germans - Germans are fine it's the French we can't stand
- marmalade - that one I agree with, as long as it's thick cut
- kagouls - Haven't seen one since 1972
- half day closings - only retained in quaint villages and charity shops
- dining at the roadside - mostly died out, but still prevalent amongst caravan enthusiasts - and they are a whole other species

There is also:

Congestion Charge – and continually moaning about it
The price of petrol
The following bring British rail to a standstill
- half an inch of snow
- one degree of frost
- leaves on the line

If you pay for a rail ticket on line with a credit card and don’t take that card with you on the journey – you have to pay twice and you don’t get a refund – parents buying tickets for children fall foul of this all the time.

If you overfill a rubbish bin by so much as a newspaper, you can be given a criminal record.

That eating, drinking and talking on a mobile while is illegal but smoking while driving is not.

That since smoking was made illegal in public buildings – you die of lung cancer trying to get into the pub/restaurant because the nicotine addicts are crowded round the doors and you can’t get in. And those pretty outside tables in gardens to eat in – forget it, you need a tank of oxygen to sit there.

I have plenty more, but then I would be labelled a whingeing Pom by my Aussie Friends and a Miserable Brit by my American ones
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Thu January 29th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Awww I wouldn't call you a Miserable Brit at all. But then I'm not your friend. :p

I'm at the Ps now and I've concluded that the United States and Great Britain are like twins who live the same lives, just not right next door.

TerriPray
Reader

Post by TerriPray » Thu January 29th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Hm.

One thing that springs to mind..

the answer to any problem is to put the kettle on for a fresh pot of tea.

Branston pickle, oh god do I miss that stuff - and HP sauce!

Afternoon tea - there's a victorian tea shop back in Southport and another one in Birkdale, called Nostalgia. Oh, I miss that place.

Rememberance Sunday, and proudly wearing my poppy.

Yorkshire Puddings (I've introduced my family to those)

Real Scones (there's a major difference in the gluten level in flour in the USA, so there's a slightly bitter after taste in scones here)

Potato cakes.

Putting your emotions/illness on 'hold' until there's time to grieve or be sick. The local GP used to say that between Valentines and Easter he'd see mainly Mum's, as it was the only time we had the spare time to be sick.

Doctor Who... and hiding behind the sofa from the monsters when I was a kid.

Special Constables, those men and women who put in duty, in uniform, as officers of the law on a weekly, sometimes even daily basis, without payment.
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

xiaotien
Reader

Post by xiaotien » Thu January 29th, 2009, 9:07 pm

has nobody said cockney slang?
haha!

apple and pears = stairs
dog and bone = phone
trouble and strife = wife (ha!)

jellied eels.

english breakfasts! see fotos in this entry!
http://cindypon.blogspot.com/2009/01/ti ... -time.html

scones with strawberry jam and triple clotted cream.

crackers for x'mas.

watching the queens speech on x'mas day!

x'mas pud! (pood)

can you tell i just got back? =)
SILVER PHOENIX : Beyond the Kingdom of Xia
greenwillow / harpercollins summer '09

cindypon.com

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Thu January 29th, 2009, 10:39 pm

What a fun thread!

When I was student (in the ante-diluvean era and I still have the kaghoul to prove it!) 'dogging' meant hanging about and not doing much. I had a friend who a faux-fur coat for 'dogging' in...Well, maybe I was naive - I thought she meant for hanging around doing nothing in!! And speaking of naivete (as an aside) - when I was fortunate enough to have the care of 26 guinea pigs :-) , I used to go to Temple Newsam to collect grass and dandelion leaves for them. One day there was big rock festival there and traffic was turned away. A 'bouncer' stopping the cars said I couldn't go in and I said, "I don't want to stay. I've just come to collect some grass...." at which he paused for a moment then said, "I could let you have some. Do you have any cigarette papers?" And like an idiot, I just said, "No, but I've got some cigarettes if you want one..."

Being English is really always saying, "Yes it's bucketing down, but there's a bit of blue in the sky so the sun will come out soon..."
Queueing (even when there are only 2 people waiting we stand in an orderly line!).
The smoking thing...well I see it as spirit of the Brits that in spite of the ban, smokers still gather in groups in all weathers...
Making the best of it.
Disliking people who succeed and being particular obnoxious about people who succeed and take their success abroad (Michael Caine had an awful time from the press when he went to America; and the press was all out to undermine David Beckham because he was so good at what he did).
Supporting the underdog.
Being a bit laid back at the same time as being uptight (I mean, there's not been a revolution here for 400 years, and that's probably because we're all too laid back to be interested in politics, and yet so uptight that we moan about whoever is in power)
Taking any opportunity for a celebration...anything for a stick of rock and a paper hat.
Enjoying the sea, whatever the weather, just because we're at the seaside.
Going shopping each day for necessities.
'Knocking' ourselves all the time, but becoming defensive as soon as someone else does.
Anything that we can latch on to that re-creates 'the spirit of the Blitz' (what did they have before the Blitz? Spirit of the Crimea, the fire/plague of London, spirit of the Armada or something?)
Raking up our past to reassure ourselves that we once were the best (and the belief that really we still are!).
Not taking anything that seriously!
Quirky humour.

And I think there is a big north-south divide. Being from the north, it always amused me that friends from the south were amazed when people whom they did not know spoke to them (told them their life histories!!) just because they happened to be in the same queue. In the north that's what people do. My experiences in the south - especially in London - are that no one even makes eye-contact (but I might be mistaken and am willing to be corrected!).

Return to “Chat”