Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ildefonso Falcones

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Ildefonso Falcones

Post by Julianne Douglas » Wed January 21st, 2009, 11:50 pm

Has anyone read Falcones's Cathedral of the Sea, translated from the Spanish last spring? It's set in 14th century Barcelona. My agent brought it up and I was wondering if any of you had read it and what you thought.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 12:52 am

I haven't read this myself, but I know some people who have read it and loved it! I am hoping that my library will get it in, but it hasn't happened yet.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 8:14 am

It's on my TBR pile. I know a couple of people who have read and enjoyed it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 7:50 pm

I haven't read it, but I've heard very good things about it. It's on my mental TBR list somewhere - so many books, so little time!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 8:53 pm

Also on my TBR, and may Spain become the next hot HF area.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 10:08 pm

Thanks for everyone's input! I have a request on it from the library. Gotta get Signora Da Vinci read first, though, for a review.
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 2:23 am

It's hard not to compare this to Pillars of the Earth. But they are also quite different even when they have a similarity. Less than POTE, it still tends to veer a bit towards the soap opera in a historical setting as opposed to outright historical fiction at weird times. But the advantage this has is being based on an actual place and people and circumstances. So it stays more firmly in the historical fiction arena. Much more firmly.

I liked the book but then again when I first read POTE, I liked that as well. But in a "in spite of its serious flaws" way of it simpyl being a fast paced entertaining book that was cheesy as all get out but tolerable in the way that some summer movies that go BOOM can satisify.

COTS is rather more serious in terms of historical fact, the author delving into particular records as opposed to willy-nilly slap and dab of general historical fact and neverminding whether such fits in that particular spot.

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 4:25 am

Thanks, gyrehead, I've read POTE too, and, like you, liked it as a story despite its historical flaws. I'm hoping COTS will be as enjoyable but meatier. I've read the excerpt on Amazon, and the verdict is still out. Have to wait for my interlibrary loan request to come in. [tapping fingers impatiently]
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Sun August 16th, 2009, 12:04 am

I just finished Cathedral of the Sea. I quite enjoyed it. I find it more comparable to The Religion by Tim Willocks, which I also liked.

It centers around the Catalan Inquisition. But you really don't get to that point until about 250-300 pages in. The author gives you a real introduction to serfdom first in a compelling way.

I also like the fact that he ends with an essay on the inquisition, which includes facts about some of the real historical figures in the novel.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sun August 16th, 2009, 1:12 am

[quote=""JaneConsumer""]I just finished Cathedral of the Sea. I quite enjoyed it. I find it more comparable to The Religion by Tim Willocks, which I also liked.

It centers around the Catalan Inquisition. But you really don't get to that point until about 250-300 pages in. The author gives you a real introduction to serfdom first in a compelling way.

I also like the fact that he ends with an essay on the inquisition, which includes facts about some of the real historical figures in the novel.[/quote]

Hi, Jane! Glad to have you back!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “By Author”