Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Amazon Vine

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Thu October 16th, 2008, 8:05 pm

I ordered the Clay book for hubby.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Thu October 16th, 2008, 8:21 pm

I swear there is another Amazon Vine thread...

Anyway I didnt get anything. I'm on the fence about two but Im not that interested.

Joseph
By: Shelia P. Moses

For Joseph Flood, life is tough. Tough because of Mama's addiction to drugs and alcohol. Tough because Daddy is away with the army fighting in Iraq. Tough because it looks like there's no way out once you're living in a homeless shelter in a North Carolina ghetto neighborhood. And tough because Joseph is enrolled in yet another new school where he doesn't know anyone and has to keep what's going on in his life a secret. Joseph struggles to keep Mama clean and to hold their broken family

The Wettest County in the World: A Novel Based on a True Story
By: Matt Bondurant

Based on the true story of Matt Bondurant's grandfather and two granduncles, The Wettest County in the World is a gripping tale of brotherhood, greed, and murder. The Bondurant Boys were a notorious gang of roughnecks and moonshiners who ran liquor through Franklin County, Virginia, during Prohibition and in the years after. Forrest, the eldest brother, is fierce, mythically indestructible, and the consummate businessman; Howard, the middle brother, is an ox of a man besieged by the horrors
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu October 16th, 2008, 8:29 pm

We had a thread on the old board. I didn't see the Clay Book on my list.

I'm with you Divia, I'm not going to get something unless it interests me. Too much of a waste of reading time.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Fri October 17th, 2008, 2:15 am

I didn't really see anything that interests me! Plus I still have to write my review for Serena before I can choose anything else. I've been busy!! Next Thursday when they make the stuff from the last newsletters available there might be something!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Postby Divia » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 9:21 pm

Ok, so what did you get, if anything with the leftover letter. I got the one HF novel that I thought wouldn't be bad..

Four Seasons, The: A Novel of Vivaldi's Venice
By: Laurel Corona

In glittering 18th-century Venice, music and love are prized above all else--and for two sisters coming of age, the city's passions blend in intoxicating ways.

Chiaretta and Maddalena are as different as night and day. The two sisters were abandoned as babies on the steps of the Ospedale della Pietá, Venice's world-famous foundling hospital and musical academy. High-spirited and rebellious, Chiaretta marries into a great aristocratic Venetian family and eventually becomes one of the most powerful women in Venice. Maddalena becomes a violin virtuoso and Antonio Vivaldi's muse. The Four Seasons is a rich, literary imagination of the world of 18th-century Venice and the lives and loves of two extraordinary women.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.

http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 9:53 pm

Well my first try were for those healthy choice instant heat and strain 'em meals but there were gone by the time I got on a PC. I can only get one thing until I write another review so I picked a book that one of my AF's got last month and loved,

Sarah's Key
By: Tatiana de Rosnay

Category: Books , LITERATURE

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel’ d’Hiv’ roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family's apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours.
Paris, May 2002: On Vel’ d’Hiv’s 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France's past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. Julia finds herself compelled to retrace the girl's ordeal, from that terrible term in the Vel d'Hiv', to the camps, and beyond. As she probes into Sarah's past, she begins to question her own place in France, and to reevaluate her marriage and her life.
Tatiana de Rosnay offers us a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround this painful episode.

My newsletter had some cool electronics, software and printers but nothing I could really use so why bother. I was tempted to get the baby cam thing for my coworker with the baby but that's against the rules.

I'm really starting to feel bad for authors of those books that come back every month -- they can't even give them away :D

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Postby EC2 » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 10:45 pm

UK's vines are different. I've just ordered The Killing Circle by Andrew Pyper.

I grabbed a WONDERFUL set of hair straighteners two months ago - worth nearly £90.00. They actually work on my hair. You've seen my photo on my blog and my avatar and I really do mean what I say when I say it's a decent hair day. I have wild, frizzy, wavy hair. (what you see in the avatar is the result of a same day visit to hairdresser!) Those straighteners were fantastic. Then last month I got a hot brush that rotates by itself and although I didn't like it at first, I've become used to it, so that was a good grab.
There's nothing in the electronics or DVD's I fancy this time around, so I'll just settle for one book for now.
You get ready meals offered on Amazon USA Misfit? :eek:
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 11:01 pm

You get ready meals offered on Amazon USA Misfit?

Well Amazon does sell groceries over here. They had some tea on the list also, but it was lose and I'm a bag lady (at least when drinking tea).

I think since I mainly buy books from Amazon and little else it's limiting my vine choices -- especially what was offered on today's leftover newsletter.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Postby LCW » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 11:19 pm

I didn't really see anything I wanted. There was a book called Old Dogs with anecdotes and pictures of dogs in their twilight years. I really wanted it but it was sold out :-( ! I might just buy it anyway though. And there was an offer for Trend brand security software. I bought a laptop last month and paid about $80 for it! Arrgh!! But the good thing is that the newsletter was a reminder to get my reveiw for Serena up. I loved that book and bought one for my Mom and sister. It's really really good!

Edited: Arrgh, why am I so apostrophe crazy??
Books to the ceiling,

Books to the sky,

My pile of books is a mile high.

How I love them! How I need them!

I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Fri October 24th, 2008, 1:54 am

"Misfit" wrote:Well my first try were for those healthy choice instant heat and strain 'em meals but there were gone by the time I got on a PC. I can only get one thing until I write another review so I picked a book that one of my AF's got last month and loved,

Sarah's Key
By: Tatiana de Rosnay

Category: Books , LITERATURE

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten year-old girl, is brutally arrested with her family by the French police in the Vel’ d’Hiv’ roundup, but not before she locks her younger brother in a cupboard in the family's apartment, thinking that she will be back within a few hours.
Paris, May 2002: On Vel’ d’Hiv’s 60th anniversary, journalist Julia Jarmond is asked to write an article about this black day in France's past. Through her contemporary investigation, she stumbles onto a trail of long-hidden family secrets that connect her to Sarah. Julia finds herself compelled to retrace the girl's ordeal, from that terrible term in the Vel d'Hiv', to the camps, and beyond. As she probes into Sarah's past, she begins to question her own place in France, and to reevaluate her marriage and her life.
Tatiana de Rosnay offers us a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround this painful episode.

My newsletter had some cool electronics, software and printers but nothing I could really use so why bother. I was tempted to get the baby cam thing for my coworker with the baby but that's against the rules.

I'm really starting to feel bad for authors of those books that come back every month -- they can't even give them away :D

I have added this book to my TBR pile. The story does sound interesting, but the main reason for adding it is because I had just finished A Time of Singing when I first say this and so I was inspired by the fact that the author's surname was de Rosnay! I know it isn't exactly the same as Ida's surname, but it is very close, and so that was enough for me!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”