Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ebook theft

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 10:31 am

I heard yesterday on another list that a pirate site has listed all the Harlequin Presents e-book titles for the month of February.
Really shocking.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 7:38 pm

Wow, that's bad news for Harlequin and their authors. Computers are really wonderful, but they have their down side. There has been so much theft of music via the internet, it should probably come as no surprise that people are doing this with ebooks, too. Probably people see so many musicians who are fabulously wealthy, they feel (incorrectly) like it's not really hurting anyone to take their music without paying. But wealthy authors are rare, and most of the authors who publish via ebooks probably have less money than the people who are stealing from them.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun January 25th, 2009, 4:02 am

There is quite a strong anarchic element amongst internet users that feels all online information should be "liberated" and made free to the people. So, sadly, the people going to the trouble of making ebooks available free to all and sundry are probably feeling smugly virtuous about their efforts, and not paying any thought to the authors losing income.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Sun January 25th, 2009, 5:32 am

Something to think about before producing an ebook! I wonder if these anarchic types feel the same way about printed books. I also wonder how they earn their keep - do they offer their own services (of whatever variety) free of charge?
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun January 25th, 2009, 8:28 am

Perhaps the perception is that you can hand a printed book to a friend to read, and that therefore they can do the same with an ebook.

I have a few ebooks on my computer (acquired legally) but I don't tend to read them on my computer. I am waiting for the day when there is a better choice of ebooks available to everyone around the world so that I can get an e-reader.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

TerriPray
Reader

Post by TerriPray » Sun January 25th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Diamond, you've hit the nail on the head as far as casual piracy is concerned.

A lot of the casual pirates really dont understand, or perhaps don't want to understand, that in order to 'lend' a copy of an e-book you have to one of two things.

Lend the device the e-book is on.

Or break the law and make a secondary copy to send to the friend/family member etc.
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Sun January 25th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I think there's a difference between "loaning" an ebook to a friend by making a copy and setting up a pirate site where the world in general can come and get free copies of someone else's ebook. The latter hurts the author far more than the former. There is still, however, a big difference between loaning a friend a copy of a printed book and "loaning" them an ebook by making a copy of it. When we loan out a printed book, we loan our only copy. Someone who duplicates an ebook and sends it to a friend still has a copy to read, so the "loan" is really a permanent gift. With a printed book, someone who wants to make a gift (while still keeping a copy) would buy a new copy for the friend.

TerriPray
Reader

Post by TerriPray » Mon January 26th, 2009, 1:07 am

There is a difference in 'lending' an e-book and active piracy in the terms of numbers.

There isn't the terms of continuing the belief that it's all right to copy files you don't own the copyright of and pass them along regardless.

A lot of it boils down to education. Until readers are taught this is wrong many will continue to copy for friends. And the step from that to going to a peer to peer, or such like is a very small one. After all that one extra copy isn't going to hurt anyone, is it (actual argument one person used with me) and authors are all super rich (another argument) and it's not 'real work' ( a common third argument).

Terri
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Mon January 26th, 2009, 1:16 am

[quote=""TerriPray""] After all that one extra copy isn't going to hurt anyone, is it (actual argument one person used with me) and authors are all super rich (another argument) and it's not 'real work' ( a common third argument).

Terri[/quote]

Yes, I've seen those arguments very recently on a busy traffic online blog. One of the posters suggested that writers should feel honoured that people want to read their work and should stop whingeing. I won't post my thoughts on the matter, just leave a small emoticon. :mad:
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Margaret
Bibliomaniac

Post by Margaret » Mon January 26th, 2009, 2:24 am

authors are all super rich
Gee, don't I wish!

Return to “The Writing Business”