Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why We Inaugurate in January

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 21st, 2009, 9:11 pm

If Malia and Sasha were my kids I would have made them wear hats! Heat escapes from your head.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed January 21st, 2009, 10:44 pm

I had a 4 day weekend so I watched the inauguration on TV yesterday.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 1:08 am

Over concerns of the messed up oath of office yesterday, Obama retook the oath this afternoon.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 3:09 am

Oh I loved that lemon grass dress of hers; very elegant, and it looked just perfect for her. Now, the evening dress was another matter. She just doesn't strike me as a white ruffles and fluff type person, and I was surprised she chose that one. She looks beautiful no matter what she wore, but that just wasn't what I was expecting.

So Obama had to do the oath over again because CJ Robers screwed up. How much you wanna bet that now someones going to complain because they didn't use a bible.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 5:19 am

To answer Sonja, yep, I was there. Freezing my butt off, even with woolies and a quilt over my lap, but got a good view with a strong pair of opera glasses. The wind chill was about 15 degrees or so. I think we were all too cold -- you had to be in place pretty much by 6am to get there -- by eight they were starting to turn people away -- to make any trouble. I left after the speech, and started to make my way to Union Station and the train home. I didn't have the stamina to stay much longer.

Correction on the oath -- Obama became president at 12 noon on Tuesday, period. And the oath was enough as he swore it there on the bible in front of all of us. Today's oath was given by the VP and to the members of the White House staff. I've already heard several bits about some people protesting the legality of the Chief Justice, but it's good.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 5:22 am

Wow Tely, you are lucky!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 5:24 am

[quote=""Telynor""]To answer Sonja, yep, I was there. Freezing my butt off, even with woolies and a quilt over my lap, but got a good view with a strong pair of opera glasses. The wind chill was about 15 degrees or so. I think we were all too cold -- you had to be in place pretty much by 6am to get there -- by eight they were starting to turn people away -- to make any trouble. I left after the speech, and started to make my way to Union Station and the train home. I didn't have the stamina to stay much longer.

[/quote]

Such an awesome experience! Good for you Telynor!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 5:35 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]Such an awesome experience! Good for you Telynor![/quote]

It was. If I had really thought about all of the logistics, I wouldn't have done it, but I did get the opportunity (I won a lottery for passes) and decided to go for.it. I'm still pretty tired, didn't get home until around 1 am, and was wheelchair bound for most of it -- thank god for very caring railroad staff who were a godsend! Did finally read Northanger Abbey for the trip home, however.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 2:04 pm

(Could someone please fix the spelling in the thread title? Its the teacher in me, I know, but it bugs me every time I see it! :)

Return to “Chat”