Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Why We Inaugurate in January

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Tue January 20th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Great speech by Obama, incidentally.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue January 20th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Everyone in my office is anti-Obama, so I was only able to catch his swearing in. :(

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed January 21st, 2009, 12:42 am

And their swearing, no doubt. BTW I bet they all had a good laugh at Chief Justice Roberts blowing the oath so Obama looked ridiculous. If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say that was planned....

Speech was excellent, and the shots of all the people there, of all different types, races, ages, just magnificient.

Oh and its trivial, but that dress Michelle wore was beautiful. I could never wear that color - I'd look jaundiced. But she does pull it off.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed January 21st, 2009, 10:51 am

Well, here's my two ducats worth on the Inaugaration:

1. It was bloody awful cold, despite the blue sky, even though we were crammed in like sheep. Every time that wind came through, you could hear the subvocal groan.

2. Everyone was smiling, there wasn't one gloomy face there. And people were -up- and it was intense, especially when the Obama's walked.

3. I am hoarse today, and still excited and tired.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed January 21st, 2009, 3:38 pm

What has just floored me is that with all those people crammed together for so many hours and no one was arrested? No one got drunk and disorderly?Unbelievable.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed January 21st, 2009, 6:03 pm

What a thrilling day it was for the country and the world! Yesterday was a day that I've been waiting for for four loooong years....eight actually, lol! A very good day and a brand new start to get our nation back on the right track!

And, I may be the only one in the world who thinks so, but I thought Michelle's inaugural outfit was awful. It looked like it belonged on a stuffy old couch somewhere, put about 20 pounds on her, and I hated the color!! Trivial, yes, but I hope she steps up her fashion game soon! She's had a few hits but a bunch of misses. Her ball gown last night wasn't the greatest either. I loved the black and tan outfit she had on on Sunday though. JMO!!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 21st, 2009, 6:15 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Well, here's my two ducats worth on the Inaugaration:

1. It was bloody awful cold, despite the blue sky, even though we were crammed in like sheep. Every time that wind came through, you could hear the subvocal groan.

2. Everyone was smiling, there wasn't one gloomy face there. And people were -up- and it was intense, especially when the Obama's walked.

3. I am hoarse today, and still excited and tired.[/quote]

You got to go to the inauguration?!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 21st, 2009, 6:17 pm

LCW: I agree, I don't like the colour yellow or gold, and the ball gown was too reminiscent of Nancy Reagan's for me!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed January 21st, 2009, 6:36 pm

[quote=""LCW""]What a thrilling day it was for the country and the world! Yesterday was a day that I've been waiting for for four loooong years....eight actually, lol! A very good day and a brand new start to get our nation back on the right track!

And, I may be the only one in the world who thinks so, but I thought Michelle's inaugural outfit was awful. It looked like it belonged on a stuffy old couch somewhere, put about 20 pounds on her, and I hated the color!! Trivial, yes, but I hope she steps up her fashion game soon! She's had a few hits but a bunch of misses. Her ball gown last night wasn't the greatest either. I loved the black and tan outfit she had on on Sunday though. JMO!![/quote]

I liked both the Sunday outfit and the inaugural outfit. The latter reminded me--and I don't mean this at all slightingly--of some of the Barbie doll outfits from the early 1960's. Barbie had some glamorous clothing back then!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Wed January 21st, 2009, 9:10 pm

I watched this live on tv. It was interesting. But speaking about the clothes, I noticed that even though it was very cold none of the women wore a hat. If it had been the UK I'm sure hats would have been worn!
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Return to “Chat”