Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Authors you wanted to like, but didnt

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun May 30th, 2010, 2:00 pm

He's a marvelous character, shrewd, precocious and charming - and Eleanor of Aquitaine comes into the novel, too, quite near the end, and the two have some wonderful scenes.
I agree, and even if you find the first half slow it gives you such an excellent historical grounding on this period and it's made other novels set in this period more enjoyable because I do understand the politics of the time.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Sun May 30th, 2010, 5:22 pm

[quote=""Michy""]For me the first author who comes to mind as "I so wanted to love them but just couldn't" (I'm sure I'll think of others later!) is Sharon Kay Penman. A former co-worker of mine, who knew I loved the Norman/Conquest/early Plantagenet eras, and who was a HUGE fan of SKP, recommended "While Christ and His Saints Slept." I tried it, and I soooooo wanted to like it, but I just couldn't make it. I gave up about a third of the way through. I find SKP's writing just too long and too drawn out. I like thorough, detailed novels but hers just bored me completely. I've never tried anything else by her......[/quote]

I found that one hard going too, but I've enjoyed her others, especially the Welsh trilogy. Might be worth trying something else by her :)
listen:there's a hell
of a good universe next door;let's go
ee cummings

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun May 30th, 2010, 8:08 pm

Ok, so you've all convinced me that the book I tried wasn't really a good intro to SKP. I will give her one more try. One of these days. When I have made a bigger dent in my TBR stacks! :)

Then again, maybe I'll try WCAHSS again one of these days; that's an era of English history that I really like. And I've often found that, for whatever reason, when I give a book a second try years later, I often like it and breeze right through it.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun May 30th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Two of my favorite books of all time, Birds Without Wings by Louis de Beneries and Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, were almost tossed into the trade pile after I tried them twice. But a reading buddy told me to try them again and oh I am so glad I did. Its funny when that happens, which is why my TBR stack is so big. It would be lightened considerably if I just traded all of the books that I wanted to like but couldn't get into them and decided it was just me and they deserve to be tried again....

Chris Little
Reader

Shakespeare

Post by Chris Little » Sun May 30th, 2010, 11:35 pm

has never held my interest in original form ... but I'll be looking for a synopsis of "Coriolanus" after finishing Norman Zollinger's "Corey Lane." How like the Roman General is the deeply flawed Frontier Sheriff?

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Mon May 31st, 2010, 4:11 am

[quote=""Michy""]Ok, so you've all convinced me that the book I tried wasn't really a good intro to SKP. I will give her one more try. One of these days. When I have made a bigger dent in my TBR stacks! :) [/quote]

And then again, it might just be that Penman is not for you because I started with When Christ and His Saints Slept and loved it!
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon May 31st, 2010, 10:25 am

I love Steinbeck but could not get on with Grapes of Wrath because I just couldn't follow the dialogue. Maybe I should go back and try again.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon May 31st, 2010, 1:39 pm

[quote=""SGM""]I love Steinbeck but could not get on with Grapes of Wrath because I just couldn't follow the dialogue. Maybe I should go back and try again.[/quote]

I read it in Jr Hi, and it affected me greatly. It was the first time I remember reading something that made me so aware of that kind of poverty and suffering, and its implications. The book certainly helped form my world view. I've loved some of his others: Tortilla Flat, Of Mice and Men, East of Eden, and his wonderful travelogue Travels with Charley.

One author I wish I liked was Virginia Woolf. Ive read a couple of her biographies; I loved Mrs Dalloway, I just couldn't read the others; her stream of consciousness writing was just too difficult for me to keep up with.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon May 31st, 2010, 4:10 pm

[quote=""SGM""]I love Steinbeck but could not get on with Grapes of Wrath because I just couldn't follow the dialogue. Maybe I should go back and try again.[/quote]
The only Steinbeck I've read so far is The Pearl, but this is one I definitely want to read. My mother and her family (lots of siblings) were part of the dust bowl migration from Oklahoma to California during the Depression. The photos I have of them from that time are really pitiful. So I think I would feel a strong connection to The Grapes of Wrath.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon May 31st, 2010, 4:29 pm

I really must try Dickens again one of these days. I didn't much care for him when I was 12.

Return to “Chat”