Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Authors you wanted to like, but didnt

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon January 19th, 2009, 1:00 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I am sure that I will be in the minority here but I can't read Dorothy Dunnett. I slogged my way through one of her books and started on the second but after 100 pages, just couldn't make myself do it anymore. I really don't want to have to work that hard when I read.[/quote]

You're one up on me, since I've yet to try her. (Though King Hereafter is sitting forlornly on a shelf waiting to be tried.) I don't mind a little work to understand someone who wrote in the 1600's or even the 1800's, but not the mid to late 1900's! If I had more time to spare, maybe I'd be more willing to give her a go.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon January 19th, 2009, 1:24 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I am sure that I will be in the minority here but I can't read Dorothy Dunnett. I slogged my way through one of her books and started on the second but after 100 pages, just couldn't make myself do it anymore. I really don't want to have to work that hard when I read.[/quote]

I agree, she is hard to get into and will not be for everyone. I put the Lymond books off forever, but once I started they just flew - although she was so similar to Dumas at the start I had a much easier time of it.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon January 19th, 2009, 4:09 am

After Lymond, I bought the whole set of Niccolo books, and there they sit on my shelf. I chewed through the first, waiting for it to get traction in the way her first Lymond had done, but I just couldn't buy the main character. And her writing pulled too many 'switches' (of the inconsistent sort, not the plot kind). Book two hit the wall.

I do mean to get through all of them eventually, partly because I already own them, and partly because Dunnett's history and geography is so well done, and the Renaissance is my era. But I have the feeling I'm going to have to do it with a clothespin over my nose.

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 8:22 pm

Philippa Gregory's Boleyn books, Norah Lofts House triology are two that I can think of right off the bat.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat January 24th, 2009, 2:06 am

Ditto for me on Henry James. The Turn of the Screw sounded wonderfully spooky, but when I read it, it seemed quite dry and slow-moving. Plus, I started the much-acclaimed novel about Henry James by Colm Toibin (The Master) and didn't manage to get very far in that, either.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Maggie
Reader

Post by Maggie » Sat January 24th, 2009, 10:31 am

Jodi Picoult, comes to mind..

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Tue January 27th, 2009, 1:18 am

There is a thread titled similiarly this way on the "Chronicle of Higher Education" online forum!
Last edited by princess garnet on Tue January 27th, 2009, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue January 27th, 2009, 6:41 am

I always knew we were exceptionally well-educated and stuffed with wisdom!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Thu January 29th, 2009, 3:25 am

[quote=""MLE""]After Lymond, I bought the whole set of Niccolo books, and there they sit on my shelf. [/quote]

I was the reverse! I loved the Niccolo books (though I felt like a dimwit trying to figure what was going on, and to this day I still don't think I got the half of it) but I couldn't get into the Lymond books. I still have them; and I did try to read them right after finishing the Niccolo series, so maybe it was just overkill on my part. I guess I should try again, seeing as she's considered de rigeur for hf fans, but the mere thought gives me brain cramps. :o

And as others have mentioned, I could not get into King Hereafter. I tried three times and then figured life was too short and my TBR pile too tall.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat May 29th, 2010, 8:51 pm

[quote=""keny from prague""]
Joseph Conrad is another author i felt i should like. i mean his stories feel that they should be right up my alley. after several of his books i just realized i wasnt enjoying them. and i felt a bit guilty about that. strange.
.[/quote]

I found "nigger of the narcissis" in the used book shop so im going to give conrad one last try. ive heard that this is the book where he draws upon the most personal experiences from his exciting life.

one last try.

Return to “Chat”