Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

One dumb parent I'd say

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

One dumb parent I'd say

Post by Misfit » Wed January 14th, 2009, 12:59 am

Well, we haven't had a good rant lately to get us all fired up so I'm adding this one to the pot. Dumber than a box of rocks and then some.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 14th, 2009, 1:46 am

I read about that a few weeks ago, just awful, he should be held accountable and I'm glad to see he is!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed January 14th, 2009, 2:08 pm

First of all, how could anyone think that sending someone - even an adult - to walk 10 miles in weather that cold is right??????

"Who knows what went through his mind? It's just so sad," said Ron Choate, who owns a diner in Jerome. "Sure, the dad was dumb to let them walk, but he probably didn't think something bad was going to happen."

To Mr Choate, I say, why don't you go for a 10 mile walk at night in freezing cold weather and you tell me if anything bad happens, k?

"It's hurtful for him to be incarcerated and not be able to care for his child. A jail sentence is too harsh," Tendoy told The Associated Press after the service.

To Mr Tendoy, I say, he's already proven he cannot care for children if he thinks it's okay to send them for a 10 mile hike in freezing temperatures at night. If he had sent them on their way then followed them once he'd managed to get his car unstuck, it might've been different. But he didn't. He's totally clueless and he deserves nothing but being tossed in an icehouse.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Wed January 14th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Beyond words. What I don't understand is how the cousin could sit by and let the dad do that.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed January 14th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Read between the lines here. Both of the men were probably high, drunk, or both. The kids were probably used to being the caretakers of their parents. So it didn't occurr to them to insist on being cared for.

The problem is that it is very hard to separate the fate of the children from the parents. We are raising many completely unprepared people, who are in a long-delayed childhood themselves, and biology dictates that they reproduce on schedule if not a little sooner.

But if you take their children away and drop them into the foster-care system, the results, on average, are even worse.

You know, there really isn't much point in incarcerating him (at least not for this tragedy.) It would cost the taxpayers a mint, and he's already dealing with a more severe consequence than any jail term. Having seen what happens to kids in the foster system, I'm not sure that would be better, either. Maybe they should try monitored parenting to force him to do right by the remaining kid.
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Wed January 14th, 2009, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed January 14th, 2009, 11:12 pm

Put him six feet under the jail.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu January 15th, 2009, 12:02 am

[quote=""Rowan""]Put him six feet under the jail.[/quote]

I'll second that. MLE has some good points though. My heart breaks for kids stuck in these no-win domestic traps.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 15th, 2009, 12:35 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I'll second that. MLE has some good points though. My heart breaks for kids stuck in these no-win domestic traps.[/quote]

My husband is an inner city kid - who grew up with responsible, hard-working and fairly intelligent parents. He still returns to his roots and plays for a darts team that frequents the more rough and ready areas of the city. I can easily see the situation I've just read about, arising in the lives of some of the other members of the team who have less mental ability and were not raised in stability. There's the 32 year old mother of 6 kids, all by different fathers, who's 15yr old daughter got pregnant by her 14yr old boy friend. Having had the baby and recovered, her next exploit was with a 12yr old boy, showing him the ropes. Another team member's nephew is up on a charge for violent murder of a 16yr old boy. There's the guy who's wife has just run off with another woman, another who lives next to a drug dealer and is so inept herself that she's a female dead ringer for the man in the story. There's an entire strata of society that either struggles to cope or isn't fit to do so. Has it always been like this? Perhaps it has, but we didn't see it so well before. (I;m thinking of Dickens' portrayals, or Hogarth's illustrations.)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu January 15th, 2009, 12:51 am

Unthinkable. I'm with MLE on this. There's got to be more involved. I just can't believe any sane and sober person (let alone TWO of them) could have done that.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Fri January 16th, 2009, 10:40 am

[quote=""MLE""]You know, there really isn't much point in incarcerating him (at least not for this tragedy.) It would cost the taxpayers a mint, and he's already dealing with a more severe consequence than any jail term. Having seen what happens to kids in the foster system, I'm not sure that would be better, either. Maybe they should try monitored parenting to force him to do right by the remaining kid.[/quote]

I think that is an investment worth making. I see prison in this case not as a way of making him suffer but of keeping him from hurting others. What is to stop him having more kids?

Return to “Chat”