Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Candace Robb

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Candace Robb

Post by Kasthu » Wed January 7th, 2009, 12:25 am

Has anyone ever read her Owen Archer series? I read the first book in the series, The Apothecary Rose, a few years ago and enjoyed it, but I haven't been able to find more of her books in stores.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Wed January 7th, 2009, 6:46 am

I have a couple of those on my TBR pile, you can find a few at Bookdepository.co.uk if you're looking for more.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed January 7th, 2009, 10:00 am

I haven't read any of these books.

I have the thought that she also writes under another name, but I can't think what the other name is.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed January 7th, 2009, 11:26 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]I haven't read any of these books.

I have the thought that she also writes under another name, but I can't think what the other name is.[/quote]

Her novel about Alice Perrers is to be published under the name of Emma Campion--there's a thread here.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed January 7th, 2009, 11:44 am

I think that is the one that I was thinking of! thanks.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed January 7th, 2009, 7:20 pm

I'm looking forward to the Emma Campion book as well.

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Wed January 21st, 2009, 10:42 pm

I've read the first seven instalments, then got a bit fed up. Haven't read any new ones but might look out for them again. Good premise and well construed murder mysteries.

Not sure about the second hand online bookstores in the US but would have thought that some online marketplace would have some. Maybe try e*ay if they're no longer in print.

Anita Davison
Scribbler

Post by Anita Davison » Thu January 29th, 2009, 11:30 pm

I have read 'A Spy For The Redeemer' and thoroughly enjoyed it.

She paints a simpler, more spiritual life for her characters. By that I don't mean religious, I find the predominance of the church stifling in medieval novels - you can't get away from it. But she 'draws' gardens where every plant is used and useful wihin the household, houses that are sparse and clean but practical and cosy. You get an image of sunlight on stone and simplicity in her stories.

I would like to read more, but they aren't easy to find. I may have to order some offline.
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

Anita Davison
Scribbler

Post by Anita Davison » Thu January 29th, 2009, 11:36 pm

The Moreland Dynasty is my all time favourite,especially the 17th century ones with the beautiful and self centred Annunciata Moreland as one of the main characters. [A true Stuart if ever there was one] The Black Pearl and The Long Shadow. CHE has reached the end of World War I now with The Burning Roses and I'm awaiting the next one to come out in paperback.

I used to see her books everywhere, but now they aren't so prevalent - wonder why that is?
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

Return to “Historical Mystery”