Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Diana Norman/Ariana Franklin

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Diana Norman/Ariana Franklin

Post by Margaret » Sun January 4th, 2009, 2:38 am

Do other people get more intrigued by an author whose books aren't readily available in their own country? Diana Norman is a British author whose novels under her own name haven't had much circulation in the U.S. However, she also writes mysteries under the pen name Ariana Franklin that are published in the U.S. as well as Britain. (There's a discussion thread here somewhere about Mistress of the Art of Death.)

I've been dying to get my hands on a copy of Fitzempress' Law ever since I read Ariadne's review of it. And now that Annis has provided a delightful review of The Morning Gift for www.HistoricalNovels.info, I'm longing to read that one, too. Someday, someday!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun January 4th, 2009, 2:56 am

[quote=""Margaret""]Do other people get more intrigued by an author whose books aren't readily available in their own country? [/quote]

YES!!! It becomes a challenge to find the books for a decent price....or at the library of course (which I should do more of).

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun January 4th, 2009, 3:12 am

I've read a few of her books and really enjoy them.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun January 4th, 2009, 11:14 am

I read The Morning Gift from the library some years ago and enjoyed it. It is indeed one of those books where the landscape becomes the character.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon January 5th, 2009, 3:30 am

I first discovered Diana Norman in the 1980s and was very taken with her style. Certain themes do recur in her work: the stubborn, opinionated but rather endearing central female character, the place of women in a restrictive, male-dominated society, the humour and wonderfully quirky secondary characters, the secret remnants of the ancient cult of the Goddess, and her enduring love affair with Henry Fitzempress, King Henry II of England.

Diana Norman herself seems rather elusive- it's hard to find out much about her, so others may be interested in this interview she did with Rosina Lippi (aka Sara Donati).
http://rosinalippi.com/weblog/?p=1564

For anyone wanting to know more about the Saxon "morning gift", this account explains in detail how it fitted into the predetermined exchange of reciprocal "gifts" between husband and wife which was part of the marriage process.
http://books.google.com/books?id=WpwOAA ... &ct=result
Last edited by annis on Mon January 5th, 2009, 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lindsey
Scribbler

Post by Lindsey » Thu January 8th, 2009, 4:42 pm

I have read 'Mistress of the Art of Death' recently and really enjoyed it. It was quite disturbing in places and some parts were a bit graphic, but then the subject matter couldn't really be otherwise and I thought it was very sensitively handled. I am currently about half way through 'The Death Maze' and am really enjoying that as well. I love how she brings to life Henry II and Eleanor and absolutely love the fictional characters - they are very believable and quite flawed. I love Adelia but really could give her a slap sometimes for being so stubborn, Rowley too. Gyltha, Mansur, the Abbor and Ulf are all great supporting characters.

I haven't read any of her books as Diana Norma but intend to seek them out at some point, though I think some are out of print aren't they?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 8th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Yes, unfortunately most of her earlier work pre the "Catch of Consequence" trilogy is OP, though maybe now that she has gathered a following of readers in the States the day may come when they are reprinted. Luckily most of the OP books can be found in libraries.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu February 5th, 2009, 6:02 pm

New cover for Taking Liberties.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Dead of Winter" by Nicola Upson
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat March 28th, 2009, 12:45 pm

I just finished "Mistress of the Art..." last night and eventually quite enjoyed it. I did find it a bit of a struggle in parts but it got better from about halfway through, especially when she realised how she felt about Rowley (yes Lindsey I felt like slapping her too, although her position was very tenuous and her reasons for turning him down were well-explained), I also liked the supporting characters especially Gyltha and Ulf.

It was nice to see William the Marshall getting a mention in the author's note, and I'm looking forward to reading The Death Maze (out here soon in pb) despite some of the comments on here, it does sound good entertainment value if nothing else, and I shan't take it too seriously!

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat March 28th, 2009, 12:50 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""] I'm looking forward to reading The Death Maze (out here soon in pb) despite some of the comments on here, it does sound good entertainment value if nothing else, and I shan't take it too seriously![/quote]

If you can read it in entertainment mode then it's hysterical! A couple of scenes are indelibly imprinted on my mind! :eek:
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “By Author”