Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Upcoming Television Season

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Wildflowers by Harriet Evans & The Loving Cup by Winston Graham
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Thu December 4th, 2008, 11:40 am

"Leo62" wrote:LOL you mean Dominic West? Last seen sporting a Baltimore accent in The Wire ;)

yes, I've never seen The Wire though. But I did watch the film 300 a couple of weeks ago, he's in that as well.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Fri December 5th, 2008, 5:43 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:yes, I've never seen The Wire though. But I did watch the film 300 a couple of weeks ago, he's in that as well.

He was in 300? Totally passed me by in that one...

The Wire is great, and he's great in it :cool:

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Wildflowers by Harriet Evans & The Loving Cup by Winston Graham
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Postby Madeleine » Sat December 6th, 2008, 3:26 pm

"Leo62" wrote:He was in 300? Totally passed me by in that one...

The Wire is great, and he's great in it :cool:

He was the traitor - he attacked Leonidas's wife, but then she killed him and revealed him as a traitor.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Postby Leo62 » Sat December 6th, 2008, 5:52 pm

"Madeleine" wrote:He was the traitor - he attacked Leonidas's wife, but then she killed him and revealed him as a traitor.

Ah...thanks :)

I don't think I made it that far...

AuntiePam
Reader

Postby AuntiePam » Sun December 7th, 2008, 11:13 pm

With the networks so quick to cancel new shows, I don't like to get hooked and then be disappointed, so I don't watch until the show's been renewed and then I catch it on repeats.

It's different with the premium channels like HBO and Showtime. They'll at least let a show have its full run.

This season the only new show I watched every week was True Blood. Old favorites: The Office, Supernatural, Dexter, Friday Night Lights, Boston Legal -- that's it. I liked Pushing Daisies but it drove me nuts that Ned and Chuck could never be together.

HBO has ordered a pilot of A Game of Thrones, the first book in George R. R. Martin's epic fantasy series. It will remind you of Tudors and Plantaganets, only there'll be magic, witches, and dragons.

I wish I liked The Tudors on Showtime, but they made it even more of a soap opera, only with more nudity.

I long for the days of Poldark, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Elizabeth, and those wonderful Masterpiece Theater adaptations.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Postby Leyland » Mon December 8th, 2008, 12:42 am

"AuntiePam" wrote:This season the only new show I watched every week was True Blood.

I watched all the True Blood episodes, too, but haven't read any of Harris' novels. I don't plan to read them even though I like some of the urban fantasy by Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews and CE Murphy.

I loved the Blood Ties series and was really disappointed when it was cancelled. I read all Tanya Huff's Victoria Nelson series just before watching the TV series. Gotta love Henry FitzRoy, vampiric bastard of Henry VIII; living, writing romance novels and chasing evildoers in modern Toronto.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Christina
Reader

Postby Christina » Fri December 12th, 2008, 3:03 pm

Can anyone help me, please? I am feeling rather stupid and am too lazy to go and read the book but I was confused by the end of Little Dorrit, which finished last night. After waiting for weeks to hear the family secret, I didn't understand it???
Arthur's grandfather had left his business to Little Dorrit - is that right - simply because she happened to be born on the same day as his son's child (by a dancer) who died?? Or did h/she die?
The why, at the end, did Little Dorrit have nothing? Just because the house fell down, did all the business collapse, too? And what was the business in the first place?
Then, who was Arthur?? He wasn't his 'mother's' son?? Was he his 'father's' son?? Who was his mother?? She can't have been the dancer that his father had an affair with because that child was born on the same day as Little Dorrit, and Arthur was 10 years older than Little D.???
Why did they choose Little Dorrit to leave the money to, anyway?? And why didn't Arthur's father see to it that the will was honoured, no matter what his wife said?
Arthur's assumed mother was so apologetic to Little D...and yet what was she apologising for? What happened to all the family money - they didn't invest in the collapsed bank??
Hmm...I am utterly confused. Please can anyone help??

nona
Bibliophile

Postby nona » Fri December 12th, 2008, 3:49 pm

"Leyland" wrote: Gotta love Henry FitzRoy, vampiric bastard of Henry VIII; living, writing romance novels and chasing evildoers in modern Toronto.

Please fill me in as I've heard nor seen none of this but sounds interesting enough that I should.

alice
Reader

Postby alice » Fri December 12th, 2008, 5:51 pm

"Christina" wrote:Can anyone help me, please? I am feeling rather stupid and am too lazy to go and read the book but I was confused by the end of Little Dorrit, which finished last night. After waiting for weeks to hear the family secret, I didn't understand it???
Arthur's grandfather had left his business to Little Dorrit - is that right - simply because she happened to be born on the same day as his son's child (by a dancer) who died?? Or did h/she die?
The why, at the end, did Little Dorrit have nothing? Just because the house fell down, did all the business collapse, too? And what was the business in the first place?
Then, who was Arthur?? He wasn't his 'mother's' son?? Was he his 'father's' son?? Who was his mother?? She can't have been the dancer that his father had an affair with because that child was born on the same day as Little Dorrit, and Arthur was 10 years older than Little D.???
Why did they choose Little Dorrit to leave the money to, anyway?? And why didn't Arthur's father see to it that the will was honoured, no matter what his wife said?
Arthur's assumed mother was so apologetic to Little D...and yet what was she apologising for? What happened to all the family money - they didn't invest in the collapsed bank??
Hmm...I am utterly confused. Please can anyone help??

You're not the only one :D ! I thought I was being particularly thick, because I didn't understand it either. But a colleague sought me out today to see if I could explain it, and I couldn't, I was no wiser than her. I started reading the book but it will take me ages to finish it. I also taped it, so I can go back and watch again, but it's not very good, if people are left wondering. How did the murderer, Rigaud know all this, what was the deal with Tattycoram, how was she involved, how come Amy's sister speaks Cockney, and Amy who was born in prison, has a posher accent, and why aren't I in a relationship with Arthur Clennam? (That last question was a joke, ;) but he is rather lovely :D ). If I find out any answers, I will let you know.
Last edited by alice on Fri December 12th, 2008, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Postby boswellbaxter » Fri December 12th, 2008, 6:13 pm

"alice" wrote:You're not the only one :D ! I thought I was being particularly thick, because I didn't understand it either. But a colleague sought me out today to see if I could explain it, and I couldn't, I was no wiser than her. I started reading the book but it will take me ages to finish it. I also taped it, so I can go back and watch again, but it's not very good, if people are left wondering. How did the murderer, Rigaud know all this, what was the deal with Tattycoram, how was she involved, how come Amy's sister speaks Cockney, and Amy who was born in prison, has a posher accent, and why aren't I in a relationship with Arthur Clennam? (That last question was a joke, ;) but he is rather lovely :D ). If I find out any answers, I will let you know.

Can't be of any help, but I was excited to see that this is coming to the US in April!

Arthur Clennam does look rather pleasing to the eye.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”