Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Tsjmom's Book List

What have you read in 2009? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Mon May 18th, 2009, 12:13 am

I forced myself to finish Dragonfly in Amber. After they came back from France it was just toooo slow for me until the end (battle).

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon May 18th, 2009, 1:16 am

Dragonfly in Amber is where the whole series got stuck for me. There they sit on my shelf, all fat and paid for, but despite all the rave reviews (including my daughter) I can't seem to make myself finish that snoozer of a sequel.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Mon June 8th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Once again, I forced myself to finish a book - 'Madame Bovary'. I'll admit the last 100 pgs were scanned. It takes place in my beloved France, so how could I not like it? Boring, boring boring!

On the flip side, 'Secret Life of Bees' was lovely. Although some of the issues were sad, the way it's written was hopeful and warm. I just wanted to give Lily a big hug.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue June 16th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Re: The Seduction of the Crimson Rose', who the heck was the 'Crimson Rose' in the novel? Was it supposed to be Vaughn, or Mary? Pretty unclear whom ever it was supposed to be.

Sadly, none of her follow up novels have been nearly as good as the 'Pink Carnation'. They are all rather obvious. Will that stop me from reading them? Nope ;)

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Fri June 19th, 2009, 6:50 pm

No surprise, this Francophile loved 'Mistress of the Sun'! Although the first 100 pgs were a little slow, once Louise went to Blois I found the details very interesting. I also learned a few new things about life in the court of Louis XIV.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue July 14th, 2009, 7:51 pm

I loved 'In a Dark Wood Wandering'!!! How could I ever have missed a HF about France for so long? It gave me insight into 1400s France (which I didn't know anything about) and a time when kings and princes actually had to battle for their places. Highly recommend - 4.5/5. (The part when Charles d'Orleans is in England slows it down)

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu August 6th, 2009, 3:48 pm

I read 100 pgs of 'The Lacemaker' and just couldn't see reading the rest (500 pgs total). It was so slow and depressing.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu August 6th, 2009, 3:53 pm

I know 'The Wednesday Sisters' isn't exactly HF, but a friend gave it to me. I found it heartwarming and cozy. How I wish I had a group of friends who'd shave their heads for me. It was interesting (I really mean appalling) to read what women's lives/rights were like in the 1960s, not to mention health care. To this day I still can't believe or understand why every single person doesn't have the same exact rights.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Tue August 11th, 2009, 3:02 pm

I was going to give 'The Rose Grower' 2/5 simply b/c it was soooo sloooow. It had a good concept but was pretty boring giving all the minute details. After the ending, though, I'll give it a 3/5. The ending was exciting, unexpected, and with the times, so much that it salvaged the novel for me.

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Thu August 13th, 2009, 10:36 pm

I highly rec The Linz Testament. 5/5. Although I wish it had focused more of the story during WW2, it's exciting, fast-paced, and suspenseful. I definitely like DH would enjoy it. The ending is a bit unrealistic and there are a whole lot of dead bodies, but all in all a fun read!

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2009”