Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Q. about the Spanish Inquisition

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Q. about the Spanish Inquisition

Post by Kasthu » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 6:36 pm

I do part-time work reading and writing reader's reports on manscripts for a literary agent here in New York. The MSS I'm reading right now is a novel about the Spanish Inquisition (set specifically in Toledo in the late 15th century). In the opening scene, the author has a character (the person being interrogated) drinking water--described as "cool and clear." The fifteenth century isn't really my period, but for some reason this struck me as being anachronistic. Any thoughts/ expertise to shed light on the subject?

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 8:29 pm

Why? Cool, clear water is very important in hot climes. One of the greatest things a philanthropist in the Muslim world of the time could do to was to build water fountains for the public.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 9:18 pm

The Spaniards loved their water, except for bathing, which was a Jewish and Muslim practice. Agua muy rica, the water is very rich, was a common expression throughtout Spain over the centuries.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 11:06 pm

I've often heard that in some parts of Europe in past centuries, people avoided drinking water alone, but always mixed it with wine or drank beer or ale instead of water, because water supplies might be tainted. I can't say if that's true or not. Of course, no one knew about bacteria or viruses then, but if a water supply was full of cholera germs, for example, it would be easy enough for people to make the connection that people died after drinking from it. I'm inclined to think practices would vary quite a bit across Europe, depending on people's experiences with their own water supply. Water has always been very precious to desert peoples, so it seems likely to me that the Moors in Spain would be more careful with their water supply than other Europeans might with theirs, and that care might have influenced how Spaniards, generally, handled water supplies.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sun January 4th, 2009, 1:20 pm

And fountains were a feature of city plannning, if one could call it that.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Sun January 4th, 2009, 1:49 pm

The Spaniards drank chocolate and water and almond flavored water in the 17th century.

Instead of washing with water, many used the white of an egg to cleanse their faces. I have tried it as an experiment, and it does cleanse the pores.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Return to “Questions and Research”