Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Master of Verona by David Blixt

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Master of Verona by David Blixt

Post by diamondlil » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 12:21 am

In 1314, seventeen year old Pietro Alighieri travels to Verona with his father, the infamous poet Dante, at the invitation of its leader, the legendary Francesco “Cangrande” della Scala. A sneak attack from Padua leads Pietro into his first battle, fighting alongside the charismatic Cangrande, and into a tight friendship with Mariotto Montecchio and Antonio Capulletto. Behind the scenes, repeated attempts are made against the life of a child believed to be Cangrande’s illegitimate son and possible heir.

Pietro is drawn into the web of intrigue around the child and the tension building between Mariotto and Antonio over a woman betrothed to one and in love with the other – a situation that will sever a friendship, divide a city, and ultimately lead to the events of the best known tragic romance in the world.

Inspired by the plays of Shakespeare, the poetry of Dante, and the events of history, The Master of Verona is a compelling novel of politics, loyalty, conspiracy and star-crossed romance.

Sometimes it happens that I really love a book, but I still don't get around to writing a review for it straight away (or at all, but we won't think about all those unwritten reviews just now!). This is one of those books.

My interest was initially drawn to the idea of setting a book at the time of Romeo and Juliet, but this is much more than a retelling of that famous tale. It isn't even the main action within the novel, but it is an important component.

The story is more about Pietro Alighieri, son and reluctant heir to his father, the famous and controversial poet Dante Alighieri. I say reluctant because for many years Pietro was the second son of a famous man, not really expected to do much in terms of continuing his father's legacy, but with the death of his older brother, Pietro finds himself fulfilling a role that he is ill suited for.

He is given the chance to shine when he unexpectedly gets to fight with Francesco "Cangrande" della Scala, charismatic leader of Verona. This engagement also brings him into contact with his new best friends, Mario and Antonio. The boys are friends, but they are also competitors both in the contests of the Palio and for two of them, in love. This very first fight begins with a flying leap off of a balcony onto horseback - a very telling sign of the type of swashbuckling to come throughout the book!

Blixt skilfully deals with the historical figures of Dante and Cangrande, Shakespeare's famous love story, an intriguing suspense subplot plus provides the reader with an engaging, exciting and engrossing story with a large cast of well written characters.

There is lots of action in the pages between the battles and the pageantry associated with medieval Italy. For me, the highlight of the book is definitely the day of the Palio. The colour, the spectacle and the pageantry are incredibly detailed but also very readable with the naming of the new knights, the speech of the oracle where it is declared that "Verona will always be remembered for love" and the crazy midnight foot race where the participants all run naked through the streets coming to life vividly through the words on the page!

This is an excellent historical fiction debut, and I for one, am very much looking forward to reading the next book from David Blixt, which will pick up where the action of this book left off!

When it comes to grading books I think that I am an easy grader when it comes to 4/5 books, but very, very hard when it comes to 5/5 books. This book is one of only three 5/5 books so far this year! I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to read historical fiction.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 12:36 am

I have this one and really have to move it up the list!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 3:41 am

High praise indeed! Will be adding this to the wishlist.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 7:30 pm

Annis has contributed a review of The Master of Verona at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Master-of-Verona.html, which should whet people's appetites to read this novel - it has certainly whetted mine! I've taken the liberty, via my blog, to encourage people to read the book and join HFO to discuss it in March.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

The Falconer's Voice

Post by annis » Fri October 21st, 2011, 5:55 pm

For those (like me) who've been waiting impatiently for quite some time now, news from David that the sequel to Master of Verona could well be on the shelves next year - in fact, we may be spoilt for choice and get several Blixt novels all at once!

From DB's blog:

I've been holding off for months - literally, months - to roll out some announcements. The ink isn't on the paper yet, so I'm still trepidacious about talking, and don't really want to get anyone excited until there's a link on Amazon.

But after the phone call I had on Friday, I will say this: in 2012, there will be at least four new David Blixt novels coming.

That's right. 2012. 4 (FOUR!). New (NEW!). Books.

I'm working on the final edits now, talking to the cover artist and all the things that go into the final stages before publication.

More soon. Count on it.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat October 22nd, 2011, 1:52 am

I received an email from David at some point saying the book would probably "never" be published. I hope this new deal includes the followup to The Master of Verona but i thought he indicated that he was going in a different direction with his writing.

Info on his facebook page isn't exactly clear but it seems it could include the sequel.

ETA: Twitter is a little more definite (it's hard to keep up with everyone everywhere!!).
Last edited by Tanzanite on Sat October 22nd, 2011, 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 22nd, 2011, 3:19 am

This is David's actual post- as he's referenced Voice of the Falconer (or at least its cover), I take that as an indication (please, please) that he means it will be one of the 4 books mentioned. His reply to a follow-up comment to his post also seems to confirm this. I think he was working on a series set in ancient Rome as well, so perhaps they may be among the others, though he doesn't say so.

http://themasterofverona.typepad.com/th ... begin.html
Last edited by annis on Sat October 22nd, 2011, 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri May 4th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Just bumped this to say that Voice of the Falconer and Fortune's Fool, books 2 & 3 in David Blixt's Star Cross'd series are now available but only, it seems, as Kindle editions. I just snapped them up. They're only $2.99 each, too- bargain! I can't wait to get reading - I've been hanging out for years for these :)

As a bonus, Colossus: Stone and Steel, the first of David's series set around the 1ist century Roman-Jewish Wars and the rise of Christianity is also now out on Kindle, and yep, I've nabbed that as well.

Return to “By Author's Last Name A-F”