Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How many books did you read in 2008?

Retired Threads
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu January 1st, 2009, 5:32 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Only about 20/21, I seem to read less every year, but buy more![/quote]

Oh that is so very true. And while I was taking a lot of books out at the library at the end of the year I was falling back to my old ways. :(
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 1st, 2009, 5:45 pm

I'm not exactly sure. I've got 25 on my reading log, but those are the ones I can remember. I would say about 30 maximum, and then a slew of historical nonfiction research work that i haven't logged.
Oh, and a year's worth of Good Food Magazine and several cookery books.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu January 1st, 2009, 5:51 pm

I'm guessing around one hundred, but didn't log any. I could be off fifty on the 'more than that' side. I'll know the number for sure in 2009 because I will log all reads in for the first time ever. Amazing for an accountant to be so careless, eh? :)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu January 1st, 2009, 5:54 pm

I read 21 books in 2008 which is very good for me. It's the first year I read so many.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 1st, 2009, 7:33 pm

71, that's up 41 from 2007, but I was sick for most of '07 and couldn't read as much as I might have otherwise.

I'm hoping to do even better this year! If I even manage 7 books a month, that's 84, but some months may be lighter or heavier, it all depends.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Thu January 1st, 2009, 9:15 pm

I just tried to figure this out for another board. And I'm not sure if I should be proud or if I should be checking into Promises for reading addiction. I should point out before anyone either hates me or thinks I have no life, that I wracked up a couple of million frequent fliers miles this past year alone for business (seven trips to Singapore, five to Hong Kong, and nine trips to Shanghai and seventeen trips to London among others) and I usually bury my face into a book and only come up for air when the first class food cart trundled by. Plus I am rather fast at reading if I can devote the proper amount of attention. One flight to Sydney I read five books that were close to five hundred pages a piece in hardcover.

Anyway.

In terms of new releases I read 270 with the majority being in the speculative fiction market.

Overall I read either 327 books or 339 books. About two dozen were work related and the rest were mostly historical reference books like George L. Williams Papal Genealogy which is the type of book it might take me the whole year to actually read in full because I hit a section as the mood strikes me.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu January 1st, 2009, 9:29 pm

I'd like to ask the people who read so many books how they do it? Are you fast readers? Is reading your only leisure activity? Do you have a long commute on public transportation? Do you require little sleep? Please tell us how you do it?
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Thu January 1st, 2009, 9:38 pm

[quote=""Susan""]I'd like to ask the people who read so many books how they do it? Are you fast readers? Is reading your only leisure activity? Do you have a long commute on public transportation? Do you require little sleep? Please tell us how you do it?[/quote]

I read 138 books in 2008, 60 of which were HF (and even then, I pretty much limited myself to the Victorian and medieval periods. Have to work on expanding that).

As for my reading habits--I read whenever I get a chance--on the subway, wherever. I'm lucky enough that my only real commitment is work, and that only for about 8 hours a day. Believe it or not, I leave my apartment two hours early every morning so that I can go to a Starbucks and read before work (and also to avoid rush hour)! With me, I enjoy reading so much that I'll make time for it in my day. I'm a fast reader, too, so that helps a bit.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu January 1st, 2009, 9:39 pm

I am a relatively fast reader, and I have a three hour commute to and from work every day, so I spend most of that time reading!

Then I read a little bit at night, and on the weekends, but not too much.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu January 1st, 2009, 9:57 pm

My commute is 1/2 hour but it's me driving so there's no reading there. With no kids, husband or school much of my spare time can be devoted to what I want to do.

Return to “Archives”