Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 9th, 2009, 8:10 pm

The Ruthless Yeomen by Valerie Anand. The second in her Bridges of Time series.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri January 9th, 2009, 8:44 pm

Queen of Swords by Judith Tarr.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Fri January 9th, 2009, 9:01 pm

I'm just over half-way through Tai-Pan. Great story, so much going on.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Sat January 10th, 2009, 6:40 am

"Sharpe's Battle," by Bernard Cornwell

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat January 10th, 2009, 12:56 pm

Just about to start Niccolo Rising by Dorothy Dunnett.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat January 10th, 2009, 1:53 pm

I am a huge fan of DD! There are currently two reading lists out there for the works of Dorothy Dunnett -- Marzipan for the Lymond books, and Cleas for the Niccolo series. I'm looking forward to what you think of them. If you get stuck on the various foreign language bits, there are two compendiums that translate all of that for the adventuresome reader.

The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick and The Vorkosigan Companion by LMcMB and Lillian Stewart Carl.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Sat January 10th, 2009, 4:38 pm

I really don't know what to think about Pear's "An Instance From the Fingerpost"....I have decided to take a respite from the novel....Read over 250 pages and I find my mind wandering(for me not a good sign)....way too much information....yes I like good research, but......maybe it's just The Restoration Period I'm struggling with and the characters are a bit flat....A very tedious read....I have picked up Mailman's "The Witch's Trinity" at my local library.....
Last edited by chuck on Sat January 10th, 2009, 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat January 10th, 2009, 6:17 pm

[quote=""chuck""]I really don't know what to think about Pear's "An Instance From the Fingerpost"....I have decided to take a respite from the novel....Read over 250 pages and I find my mind wandering(for me not a good sign)....way too much information....yes I like good research, but......maybe it's just The Restoration Period I'm struggling with and the characters are a bit flat....A very tedious read....I have picked up Mailman's "The Witch's Trinity" at my local library.....[/quote]

Chuck, I don't know if it helps or not but An Instance of the Fingerpost was a 'Did not Finish' for me. I was very gripped at the start but somewhere around half way I did exactly the same as you. Dh tried it and the same happened to him, and yet a lot of readers love this one. Horses for courses I guess.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

AuntiePam
Reader

Post by AuntiePam » Sat January 10th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Sometimes if I'm not enjoying a book (particularly one that's well written but just doesn't grab me) I adjust my expectations. That helped with Fingerpost. I stopped trying to figure out the mystery and that did the trick. Same with Strange & Norrell. I was disappointed that there wasn't more magic, so I stopped thinking of it as a fantasy and read it as a straight historical. The footnotes are still my favorite part of that book though.

Right now I'm reading Echoes from the Dead by Johan Theorin. It's a mystery, Scandinavian, and as is typical of Scandinavian (and Canadian) authors I've read, it's on the depressing side. But I'm enjoying it.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat January 10th, 2009, 6:50 pm

Just finished Robert Harris' "Imperium", the first in his trilogy about the life and times of Roman statesman, Cicero. Harris does an excellent job of untangling and enlivening complicated late Republican politics for the reader. I'm looking forward to reading the next volume, "Conspirata", when it comes out.

I've just started David Blixt's "Master of Verona" So many people mentioned it that I thought I'd better give it a try. It's good stuff so far- a sort of literary swashbuckler.

Return to “Archives”