Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
wendallpauls
Scribbler

Post by wendallpauls » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 4:25 am

What I am engaged in reading is an astounding work called "The Life of Abraham Lincoln" by J.G. Holland. It has a copyright of 1866, so I knew I had to indulge. It has not been a disappointment.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 11:12 am

[quote=""EC2""]This is one for my TBR this year.
I wonder how authentic the cursing actually is![/quote]

I'm not sure that it is at all, but going back to our discussion on the use of anachronistic language, I think that Cornwell has found a good balance. He uses modern English with lots of sinewy anglo-saxon words (and I don't just mean the swearing!). It gives a great sense of the milieu even if it's not strictly "right". Also, he uses lots of wonderful-sounding jargon to describe using the bow and arrow (also lots of fascinating stuff on how they're made). :D

Anita Davison
Scribbler

What Am I Nearly Reading?

Post by Anita Davison » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 3:30 pm

The Last Queen by C W Gortner

I haven't actually opened it yet, but I will, I will, I promise.
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 3:32 pm

Now that we are moved and mostly settled, I plan to start The Last Enchantment by Mary Stewart this weekend. I had hoped to read it on the drive to Denver, but the moving truck was very bumpy which made it difficult to read. Plus, Tanzy thought she had to sit on my lap the whole time.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri January 2nd, 2009, 3:46 pm

Not HF, but A Thousand Bells at Noon: A roman reveals the secreats and pleasures of his native city. Enjoying it thus far.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:14 am

Been reading some Children's historicals. Spent yesterday with The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Hadn't read that since 6th grade. It is one of those that really holds up over time, I think.

Today, I just finished Karen Cushman's Cahterine, Called Birdy. This one is set in England during the reign of Edward Longshanks. Some might find Catherine a little too sassy and modern for the time period, and as implausible as keeping a diary may be for a country knight's daughter in 1290's England, it actually works fairly well as a window into the period and is quite humorous. It's a book I'd recommend to kids interested in the period.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:16 am

I read The Witch at Blackbird Pond for the first time in 2008 and really enjoyed it. I think that I posted the review in the book review section.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:17 am

Also reading Stealing Athena, a novel about the Elgin Marbles and the man who swiped it from Athens. Interesting so far.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:41 am

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Been reading some Children's historicals. Spent yesterday with The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Hadn't read that since 6th grade. It is one of those that really holds up over time, I think.[/quote]

The novel is still used in the school district where I teach.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 12:41 am

[quote=""Ash""]Also reading Stealing Athena, a novel about the Elgin Marbles and the man who swiped it from Athens. Interesting so far.[/quote]

Also on my TBR pile. Let me know what you think of it.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Archives”