Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Tue January 27th, 2009, 6:46 am

[quote=""Michelle""]I loved the first book but I wasn't too fond of this one, how do you like it so far?[/quote]

Hi Michelle, in the mean time I'm about 200 pages away from the end (it's 1234 pages).
First of all I have to say that I did like Pillars of the Earth. Ok, there were a few things about it that were not so good but overall I enjoyed it.

This World Without End, to me, is even a lot better !! My partner read it in 4 days.
I have difficulties to put it down too ! :D
I'm not an expert on history so there might be inaccuracies in it which are not obvious to me. But the story is absolutely great from beginning to end !!

Just wondering : what did you not like about it ?

Swampy
Scribbler

Post by Swampy » Tue January 27th, 2009, 8:56 am

[quote=""EC2""]Would that be Robyn Young, Swampy?
I got a couple of hundred pages into Bretheren but had to put it down - usual stuff about historical errors of detail and mindset dragging me out of the story.[/quote]

Yep! It should be Robyn Young - realised my mistake when I picked up the book later on that evening. Finding it a bit slow going at the moment. Interesting that the story starts with a muslim defeat of the mongols in 1260. It follows on from the Conn Iggulden books on Ghengis Khan.

I haven't got far enough into the book yet to determine how historically accurate or otherwise the story is, but generally I'm never under the illusion that any book is completely accurate. I always like to read up on "the truth" later. As long as its a good read then I'm fairly happy, but too early to tell yet and in any case I will check out my history as I go along.

Swampy
Scribbler

Post by Swampy » Tue January 27th, 2009, 8:59 am

[QUOTE=annis;18756]Posted by Swampy
Maybe you're mixing up Robyn Young and Jack Whyte, swampy. JW has also written a series featuring the Templars, which isn't half bad. The first two are out already: "The Knights of the Black and White" and "Standard of Honor". The third volume in the trilogy is due for publication later this year- "Order in Chaos".

Definately got my authors mixed up. I actually wasn't sure whether to read Robyn Young or Jack Whyte first, but was swayed by the book store at the airport only having "Bretheren" and not "The Knights of the Black and White".

Jack Whyte is on my "to buy list" but for now I'll see how this goes!

Ellie
Reader

Post by Ellie » Tue January 27th, 2009, 10:35 am

I've finally got my hands on The Time of Singing by Elizabeth Chadwick so am about to sink my teeth into that. I also have The Rest Falls Away by Colleen Gleason going too.

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Tue January 27th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Not historical fiction (gasp!) but Darling Jim, by Christian Moerk (ARC). Opens with an awful triple murder, in Ireland in the present day...

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue January 27th, 2009, 10:11 pm

I started Signora da Vinci by Robin Maxwell last night.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed January 28th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Finished up Beverley Nichols' Laughter on the Stairs, very funny and very British. Now onto Lois McMaster Bujold's new Sharing Knife novel.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed January 28th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Gone with the Wind

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed January 28th, 2009, 8:47 pm

I started Company of Liars by Karen Maitland last night.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 28th, 2009, 9:40 pm

I've finished "The Sisters Who Would Be Queen: The Tragedy of Mary, Katherine & Lady Jane Grey" by Leanda de Lisle.

I've written a review which can be found here:
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... #post19026

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Archives”