Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:07 am

[quote=""gyrehead""]I was lucky enough to get my hands on a UK proof of Iain Pears Stone's Fall and was able to devour it this weekend despite a multitude of distractions. Wonderful book and my favorite of his works by far. Other than that, I'm not really allowed to say.[/quote]

Oh, I'm jealous! It'll be out in the US in May, and I can't wait. I really enjoyed The Instance of the Fingerpost.

Michelle
Scribbler

Post by Michelle » Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:11 am

Currently reading Portrait of an unknown Woman by Vanora Bennett...

If you have read it, what are your thoughts?? At first I was a bit disappointed but it started to grow on me...

Michelle
Scribbler

Post by Michelle » Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:12 am

[quote=""Carine""]I just started World without End by Ken Follett.[/quote]

I loved the first book but I wasn't too fond of this one, how do you like it so far?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:14 am

I'm looking forward to this one as well, gyrehead. Looks as if iain Pears has moved forward a bit in period to the WWI era.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/iai ... s-fall.htm
Doesn't look as if it's due out till about May, though.
Last edited by annis on Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue January 27th, 2009, 2:18 am

Well, for some bizarre reason I've actually been interested in reading. Just finished:

Rosewater and Soda Bread by Marsha Mehran -- 4 out of 5 stars
A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer -- fooey. 3 out of 5 stars.
Mademoiselle Boleyn by Robin Maxwell -- feh. 3 out of 5 stars.

Now reading Team of Rivals for my nonfiction book, and Laughter on the Stairs by Beverly Nichols for my fiction, I really needed something lighthearted.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue January 27th, 2009, 2:40 am

Tely: do you have a review of "Boleyn"? I enjoyed it for the most part, so I'm curious why you gave it 3 stars.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue January 27th, 2009, 4:18 am

I've finished reading "Tudors and Stuarts on Film: Historical Perspectives" edited by Susan Doran & Thomas S. Freeman. This is a book of essays by various historians on movies that deal with the Tudor and Stuart Monarchy. I found it very interesting. This is not a book for the general public, it's over $30 (it was my main Christmas present) and the price never really comes down even though my copy is in paperback.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue January 27th, 2009, 5:46 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Tely: do you have a review of "Boleyn"? I enjoyed it for the most part, so I'm curious why you gave it 3 stars.

SM[/quote]

Actually, what it got from me was a Somewhat Recommended (alas, Epinions only allows a straight up yes or no, so the maybe's get that three star review). Here's the link:

http://www.epinions.com/content_458947989124

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue January 27th, 2009, 5:56 am

[quote=""Telynor""]Actually, what it got from me was a Somewhat Recommended (alas, Epinions only allows a straight up yes or no, so the maybe's get that three star review). Here's the link:

http://www.epinions.com/content_458947989124[/quote]

I liked the book but I was also annoyed at the sex, I found that it wasn't all that necessary even though I'm sure it was present at Francois' court.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue January 27th, 2009, 6:16 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I liked the book but I was also annoyed at the sex, I found that it wasn't all that necessary even though I'm sure it was present at Francois' court.

SM[/quote]

Oh, it must have been, what accounts that I have read about Francois' court made it a very racy place indeed. But I also think that there was some decorum as well, as it was alright to go so far, but certain things must have been beyond the pale (like that orgy). It was just after a while, it got very boring to keep reading just about lust and not much else. Sigh. It gets very annoying after a while -- maybe that's why I like EC's work so much, there's sex, but she never slides into just having her characters being in lust all the time. Maybe that's how to separate the good from the bad.

Return to “Archives”