Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 4:16 pm

[quote=""EC2""]That certainly would be a twist on the author endorsement wouldn't it! :p :eek:
LOL![/quote]

Anonymous credit perhaps? Please don't make me read the book just so it can go on it. Please...

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 4:21 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Anonymous credit perhaps? Please don't make me read the book just so it can go on it. Please...[/quote]

Oh, it's very readable, I promise you! Just leave any inclinations you have to squeamishness at home and keep your disbelief button to hand and I'm sure you'll get on fine with 'Nelly' & co!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 4:32 pm

Bored and struggling to find anything I'm interested in.....Back to comfort reads for awhile, Sutcliffe's YA novels "The Outcasts and Knight's Fee" next on the list Sabatini's "Captain Blood"....Another winter of reader's discontent.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 6:45 am

Hi Chuck - I just recently discovered another writer of swashbucling tales ca. 1920s. I hadn't heard of him before, but I picked up one of his books in a online sale, called "Over the Hills".
Jeffery Farnol
http://www.violetbooks.com/gal-farnol.html
Is he one you've come across?

Currently reading Michael Faber's satire
"The Fire Gospel: the Myth of Prometheus"

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 12:02 pm

“Gates of Fire,” by Steven Pressfield. It's a re-read.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 12:59 pm

[quote=""Alaric""]“Gates of Fire,” by Steven Pressfield. It's a re-read.[/quote]
It's on my TBR. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm reading Gatty's Tale by Kevin Crossley Holland. 12thC 15yr old girl goes on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem. It's a YA/adult novel and excellent so far. It's like a sparkling, refreshing shower after the murk and silliness of The Death Maze.

Misfit, I've put The Silver Mirror aside. Perhaps because I've recently been reading Terry Pratchett, I've anthropomorphised one of the elements in the story. 'The Big Misunderstanding' has a life of its own in TSM and follows Barbe and Alphonse around like a big troll, dragging its club on the ground ready to belabour the point every time one of them has a thought! Too much.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Cerridwen
Scribbler

Post by Cerridwen » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 1:10 pm

Dragonfly in Amber - Diana Gabaldon

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 1:25 pm

finished Charity Girl and am now reading Josephine by Carrolly Erickson, historical entertainment is a good name for what she writes.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 2:01 pm

Finished du Maurier's The King's General and thought it was very good. I think it would be a mistake to dismiss it as just another gothic novel. It's a fascinating chronicle of how the English Civil War affected families in Cornwall, and I thought an equally fascinating look at the character of Sir Richard Grenvile through the eyes of the woman who loved him. I've known men like him, and I thought the author nailed that personality type.

Next: Captain from Castile, since I have the book now. Then I might return to some more du Maurier in my TBR.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Fri January 23rd, 2009, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 23rd, 2009, 3:22 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Misfit, I've put The Silver Mirror aside. Perhaps because I've recently been reading Terry Pratchett, I've anthropomorphised one of the elements in the story. 'The Big Misunderstanding' has a life of its own in TSM and follows Barbe and Alphonse around like a big troll, dragging its club on the ground ready to belabour the point every time one of them has a thought! Too much.[/quote]

EC, no worries and I know what you mean. Gellis does like to keep the couples apart with those misunderstandings. :) :o

Return to “Archives”