Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed January 21st, 2009, 11:47 am

[quote=""Misfit""]D du M is so good, My Cousin Rachel (wow) what an ending. I've got Scapegoat and House on the Strand on the list as well. Lucky me, the library system has five pages of her books to chose from :) [/quote]

I love D du M as well. I can't believe that My Cousin Rachel isn't up there with Rebecca as one of her best-known books, in my mind it's got just as memorable an opening line as Rebecca, and as you say, a tremendous ending too. House on the Strand is also good, as is Jamaica Inn (I've been to the real inn too, although it's much more welcoming now! :) ), and Frenchman's Creek is a nice escapist read. I have King's General, Castle d'Or and Hungry Hill on various tbr piles.

Ikon
Scribbler

We Speak No Treason

Post by Ikon » Wed January 21st, 2009, 3:45 pm

After having read the last half of Jarman's door-stop sized book last, I am finally getting to read the first half. It is creating some interesting feelings of deja vu.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed January 21st, 2009, 6:13 pm

Forever Amber. Again. :o

Judith
Scribbler

Post by Judith » Wed January 21st, 2009, 10:07 pm

The King's Daughter by Sandra Worth. :)

giusa

Post by giusa » Wed January 21st, 2009, 11:25 pm

A long awaited read for me.... Katherine by Anya Seton.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 5:26 am

I've finished "Sex Lives of the Popes" by Nigel Cawthorne. Yeesh, if only 50% of what this author writes is true geez louise, no wonder the Protestants got their knickers in a twist! I don't know how much is true and how much is hearsay, but it was all very interesting!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 5:50 am

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""]Enjoy. It's a bit of a biggie for a group read. I try to choose slimmer novels for our group selections. But a wonderful book -- as the rest of the series are. In fact, the first three or four are probably the most readable.[/quote]

I'll agree with that, as by the time I got to the fifth, I knew what was coming, and just couldn't bear it. But I've slogged through all of them, several times, including Antony and Cleopatra, and compared to what's out there, they're all five star reads.

Just wait til you get to Pompey and the elephants. I was screaming with laughter.

Finished up Northanger Abbey, and now have moved on to Rosewater and Soda Bread.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 3:48 pm

Just this minute finished The Death Maze by Ariana Franklin. I don't know what to say, other than I would like to donate it Misfit's infamous list. Yes, it well pips Pillars of the Earth! It has some of the most bizarre scenes I have ever come across in historical fiction. One of the prizes has to be for Eleanor of Aquitaine sitting in a tower in winter waiting for her murdered rival, Rosamund de Clifford, to defrost. 'From the writing table came a soft sound as Rosamund's melting body slithered forward.'
Golly, it's a strange one.....
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 4:07 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Just this minute finished The Death Maze by Ariana Franklin. I don't know what to say, other than I would like to donate it Misfit's infamous list. Yes, it well pips Pillars of the Earth! It has some of the most bizarre scenes I have ever come across in historical fiction. One of the prizes has to be for Eleanor of Aquitaine sitting in a tower in winter waiting for her murdered rival, Rosamund de Clifford, to defrost. 'From the writing table came a soft sound as Rosamund's melting body slithered forward.'
Golly, it's a strange one.....[/quote]

EC, you provide me with a quote to fit in the list comments and I'll give put it on the list and give you the credit for it. :) :p :o

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 4:13 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]EC, you provide me with a quote to fit in the list comments and I'll give put it on the list and give you the credit for it. :) :p :o [/quote]

That certainly would be a twist on the author endorsement wouldn't it! :p :eek:
LOL!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Archives”