Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Fri January 16th, 2009, 4:08 pm

The Outlander series is sort of addictive, though I think, for me, it kind of fell off when they got to America. By the time I got to the middle of the third book, I got stuck a bit. Maybe I was a bit burned out from reading 2 1/2 Outlander books in a row, but I couldn't continue.

I decided to abandon Miracles of Prato; it just didn't grab me, and at one point I nearly fell asleep reading it! Currently I'm reading Needle in the Blood, by Sarah Bower, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Can't wait to talk about it next month...

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Fri January 16th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Thanks Diamondlil and Misfit. I hope I dont get tired of Outlander cause I bought the first 4 books :D

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat January 17th, 2009, 6:46 am

I've finished "The Lady Elizabeth" by Alison Weir. This was an excellent book! I high recommend it. A fictional look at the life of Elizabeth I from 2 1/2 to the day she becomes Queen at 25. Even though you know how her life ends up, Weir weaves a story that leaves you worried for Elizabeth and wondering how she was able to survive so many attempts to do away with her by those ruling.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sat January 17th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Just started Samuel Shellabarger's Prince of Foxes.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat January 17th, 2009, 5:27 pm

I remember when I first discovered Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series. I charged through them, and each time a new one came out I grabbed it. After "Drums of Autumn" though I sort of hit an overkill patch and didn't read the following books for a long time. When I did, though, I was reminded of what a great storyteller, DG is and I'll certainly be looking for "Echo in the Bone", due out later this year - though DG has extracts on her website for those who really can't wait!

Currently reading Martha Rofheart's "Cry God for Harry" a novel about Henry V. I put down Bernard Cornwell's "Azincourt" about a third of the way through as it just wasn't engaging me- surprising, because I'm a great BC fan. I thought I'd get another perspective on Henry and Agincourt , and go back to it later.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat January 17th, 2009, 5:37 pm

[quote=""annis""]I remember when I first discovered Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series. I charged through them, and each time a new one came out I grabbed it. After "Drums of Autumn" though I sort of hit an overkill patch and didn't read the following books for a long time. When I did, though, I was reminded of what a great storyteller, DG is and I'll certainly be looking for "Echo in the Bone", due out later this year - though DG has extracts on her website for those who really can't wait!

Currently reading Martha Rofheart's "Cry God for Harry" a novel about Henry V. I put down Bernard Cornwell's "Azincourt" about a third of the way through as it just wasn't engaging me- surprising, because I'm a great BC fan. I thought I'd get another perspective on Henry and Agincourt , and go back to it later.[/quote]

Annis, that was my response to Gabaldon too, although you'r further along than I am. I am yet to pick up again after Drums of Autumn, but I have the books waiting their moment on my TBR. I think you are spot on re overkill. In between I've read and loved the first Lord John novel. I read and loved the Rofheart novel many long years ago. I may even had a mini review somewhere in an old reading diary!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Long live Shellabarger.....

Post by chuck » Sat January 17th, 2009, 6:44 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Just started Samuel Shellabarger Prince of Foxes.[/quote]

Absolutely love S.S.....read most of his works.....He and Sabatini along with Classic Comic books got me into HF......"Prince of Foxes was put to film in the early 50's...Starring Tyrone Power, as Orsini..... Orson Welles, as Caesar Borgia and Wanda Hendrix......Everett Sloan, great character actor steals the show.....
Last edited by chuck on Sat January 17th, 2009, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun January 18th, 2009, 8:12 pm

I was a bit undecided about what to read next last night. I ended up going with The Last Queen by CW Gortner.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun January 18th, 2009, 8:42 pm

I had to put The House at Old Vine down not saying that it wasn't good but I have a hard time with long periods of time passing by in five pages, it skipped two whole generations. I'll finish it, just not in the near future.

I stopped at B&N on my way home and bought Georgette Heyers Charity Girl, I found that I love her style, and My Lay of Cleves by Margaret Barners, so little is written on Anne of Cleves and the first 5-10 pages grabbed my attention.

I'm reading Charity Girl now though, I need a light care free read.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon January 19th, 2009, 6:07 am

I've finished "America's Dumbest Criminals" by Daniel Butler, Alan Ray, and Leland Gregory. This is a very quick read, mildly humourous but mostly head shaking worth.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Return to “Archives”